What I learned this gardening season

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This year I learned how truly easy it is to get sweet potato slips from a store-bought organic sweet potato. I also learned that, while the now-long vines are very pretty streaming along the kitchen window sill, that does not net me any yummy sweet potatoes. Next year, plant 'em!

I learned that spaghetti squash grow like weeds in the place where I planted them, and they taste good both as a spaghetti noodle substitute and as a baked squash with butter and salt and pepper.

I learned that 5 75' long rows of sunflowers planted in stair step fashion can grow into an astonishing display, even though nothing was done except an occasional watering. The chickens will reap the benefits of that little experiment this winter, after we get our share of the seeds of course. :coolsun

And I learned that tilling soil that has been left untouched for five years can product a crop of clover that cannot be kept down no matter how hard I try. I also learned that an organic garden overrun with white Dutch clover is a magnet for bumble bees, honey bees, lady bugs, dragon flies, preying mantis and earthworms. I've got my fingers crossed that tilling in all that nitrogen-rich clover will be as great a benefit to the soil as I've read it will be. :bee

So......what have you learned this gardening season?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have learned that you get out what you put in, ( barring natural disasters or things beyond your control ).

This year the gardens didn't get much lovin' and so I'm reaping a pretty puny harvest.

If we don't learn something new every year from our gardens we just aren't paying attention!

And I think all that clover is going to pay you back nicely next year with a very happy garden :)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This was a very stressful growing season in S.E. Indiana with the extreme temperatures and many weeks of no rain.

I learned that some weeds grow big and strong during a drought. And veggies grow small and weak in a drought.
I learned that growing things in old tires requires too much watering as the water just flows directly down and out of the soil in the tire.
I learned that Mortgage Lifters, German Johnsons, and Brandywine heirloom tomatoes are our favorites. And I don't like Black Krim.
I learned that ground up egg shells that have been burned (actually heated until they turn black) helps minimize blossom end rot very well.
I learned that hauling water out to the gardens really sucks.
I learned that my efforts last winter to build a swale on our slope really works well. Even with the dry conditions we had the swale helped hold moisture for our fruit trees. I can just imagine how well it would work with our normal amount of rain.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any now.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I learned the Quinoa is growable to harvesting seeds easily, at least the variety called Colorado.

I learned that Beans need to be rotated better.

I learned that Tepary Beans are immune to regular Bean problems.

I learned that some things can be planted with Peas, and after the Peas are finished and removed, those things take off real well, Beets and Tobacco.

I learned that dry Peas can fill coffee cans fast, in 75 to 90 days.

That Pink Bolitas bush and Fanomen pole fill up coffee cans too.

That a Sunflower that grew medium tall one year can give seeds that make definitely tall plants another year.

That Oilseed Sunflower is a very quick to ripen 4 to 5 foot, 5 inch wide sunflower.

Oh. That the black sunflower seeds in Autumn Beauty mix make mostly yellow and brownish 2 toned very beautiful long lasting flowers.

That I love Blackberries and Raspberries enough to devote a whole bed to them.

That Voles like Lettuce and Quinoa and Oats.

That Voles can be determined, are very beautiful, but can't be allowed to be in the garden. Try the repellants, but before serious damage, set several dozen mouse traps with Jelly. That works, and it makes me sad to do it.

That gourmet gophers can indeed be deterred with that organic repellant, along with those sonic noise things that stick in the ground.

That Round Red Turnips are easier and more fun to grow that Purple top White Globe.

That Gaspe Flint Corn is really amazing!

Oh! That making Bean Tepees out of sticks that fall from Fir trees really works, is easier than 1X2's and a lot cheaper too!

That TEG is a really cool place to be!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to make big teepes with scarlet runner beans for the kids to hide out in when I was in Oklahoma. Kids love them in the hot weather.It gives them a shady place to play in.
One nice thing about gardens is that there is always something new to learn, no matter how long you've been at it.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have learned that "There is always next year" applies to more than being a Cubs fan.

I have learned that onions do well in drought conditions.

I have learned that I need to actually label my squash plants when I transplant them outside.

Thanks to the knowledgeable people at TEG, I have learned that I gave my oregano to much love.

I will probably have more to learn this season as it is not over with yet.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That nothing grows here in August, and anything that does grow gets eaten by bugs.

That tomatoes *must* be in cages. The ones I staked were a disaster. I will be out there making more circles of concrete reinforcing wire this winter!

That everything must be mulched to keep down weeks. I use newspaper and straw (either clean, or from under the bunnies, depending on whether the edible part will touch the ground.)

That raspberries must be supported and contained somehow... I planted an innocent little twig and it got out of control in a single season! I would have had lots of raspberries if they weren't lying all over the ground (and getting eaten by the aforementioned bugs.)

That I really need to start more tomatoes in mid-May if I want them for Fall. And again in July for some to (attempt to) grow through the winter inside or in the greenhouse.

-Wendy

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wendy, what do you suppose is the best way to support and contain raspberries? Maybe extra wide Tomato cages?

:caf

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Wendy, what do you suppose is the best way to support and contain raspberries? Maybe extra wide Tomato cages?

:caf
My initial research says to confine them to a row 3 1/2 feet wide. At each end, either put a T or two posts in a V shape, and then stretch wire down the row on either side. The canes grow up, up, up ... and then they flop over. The wires will keep them upright so the fruit stays off the ground. Some articles say you need to tie the canes to the wire -- makes sense, as they'll try to slide sideways and drop down.

Like so: http://www.sunset.com/garden/fruits-veggies/raspberry-cane-support-00400000011849/

-Wendy

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I learned to keep picking bugs off my plants and feed to chickens:lol:
I learned to keep using chicken poop for my garden.
I learned that tumble weeds grow really well with out water !
now I need to learn how to keep mice out of my yard grrrr!!