What I preserved today

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Today I made no-sugar blackberry jam, my grandma's bread-n-butter pickles recipe and canned 2 quarts of blackberries without sugar to use for cobblers in the winter months. I can't wait to get more blackberries to make more. Blackberry cobbler is one of my families favorites. I guess you could probably just call it a deep-dish blackberry pie as I use a regular pie pastry dough (bottom crust and lattice top) and add minute tapioca, sugar and butter to finish the filling from my canned blackberries. I purchased the blackberries from my local farm stand, and they cost $17.95 a flat, which was only 12 LITTLE baskets. Is that too expensive, especially considering they are grown so locally? These little baskets are about the size of the small clamshells you'd find in the grocery store. I made a peach crisp from the "Peach Pie filling in a jar" that I made last week or so, and it turned out wonderful. I was afraid there was too much liquid in the pie filling, it looking watery in the jar, but it was just right. I just poured the jar that wouldn't seal and I'd been keeping in the fridge into a baking dish and topped it with a thick layer of streusel topping made of butter, flour, thick oats, sliced almonds, brown sugar, unsweetened coconut and a little cinnamon.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It sound like you had a very productive day. I pay 2.50 a lb for Blackberries here. We are leaving for SC in the morning, I hope to go to the state farmers market to see what kind of goodies I can bring back with me. We will be stopping in McBee SC on the way back and getting 4 boxes of Peaches for some folks here, I hope to sneak me in a box too.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've never bought blackberries, but that's a lot cheaper than the store prices I've seen.

The peach cobbler sounds wonderful. :p

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
2.50 a pound is about a quarter to a third (depending on wild or tame) of the price they go for here

Latest posts