What in the world is this shrub?

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I found this up the mountain and dug it up and brought it down 2 years ago. I do not know if this is a jersey native plant or not? Flowers are white and the leaves look like mint. After the flowers die off it produces black berries about the size of peppercorns. The birds love going into this tree to hit up the suet feeder (Which the bears killed a couple days ago). So can anyone tell me what I got? Thank you :)

0515011638b.jpg

0515011638a.jpg

0515011638.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Would it be possible to get a better pic of the flowers? Or at least describe them (number of petals, etc)? I just can't tell from those photos and that's sort of the "business end" of most ID-ing.

My first guess based on what I can see of the flowers would be that it is an escaped specimen of mock-orange (Philadelphicus, I think?) -- try googling that and comparing flowers/foliage.

If it isn't that, I'm somewhat stumped (esp. in absence of flower pics) -- the foliage looks vaguely right for bowman's root but the flowers aren't, and NJ tea Ceanothus somethingorother has white flowers but not looking like that and the foliage isn't quite right.

So hopefully it is an escaped mock-orange :) P.s. if it is, some are extremely fragrant, others not at all.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sorry about the horrible quality. I am using a cell phone camera. It looks like a cross between mock-orance and bowmans root. The are 4 petals on the flower. I am taking this plant when we move LOL

0516011424.jpg

0516011425.jpg

0516011425a.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ah, that would explain my not recognizing it, it's an invasive escape-from-cultivation that was not really around when I was living in that neck o' the woods when I was younger.

Pat

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, looks like they are calling it "invasive" in the mid-Atlantic area...