What is on my tomatoes???!!!!!

blue fire

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There are these small red bugs on my tomato plants on the bottom of the leaves. I sprayed them pestiside and they were still there!

blue fire

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DSCF1798.jpg

OK this picture stinks, but I looked at the bugs and it seems they look alot like aphids besides the fact that they are red, so can they be red Aphids? How do I get rid of them they are every where!!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, aphids can come in different colors. When I used to read Organic Gardening, they always recommended just spraying them with a strong spray from a hose. The water will knock them off and I think they don't live long enough to make the trip back up the plant, or they are not good at travelling, or something like that.

blue fire

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:lol: ok thanx I will try that

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My Dad used to make a spray of Cayenne Pepper and pink dish soap ( he always said get the pink dish soap, it does not matter the brand) and water and spray the plants. I know he only used a drop or two of the soap and liberal amounts of cayenne pepper.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Please be sure to identify whatever it is you're trying to get rid of before you use just any old pesticide. As for Sevin dust, I know many love it, I won't use it - it kills honeybees and many other beneficials. If they're spider mites or aphids, a strong stream of water will knock them off without poisoning anything.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This comes from my companion planting book....

Chives planted near tomatoes discourage aphids

Ladybugs are their natural enemy

Corriander has a reputation for repelling them

hope it helps

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, pesticides need to be used only when you know the exact problem because mostly they will do more harm than good.

Generally speaking, a good spraying of a pepper mix will ward off most bugs without doing too much harm overall.

I definitely second what Ann has to say about Sevin and highly discourage it. Hand-picking works great for a lot of bugs, as long as there is not a heavy infestation.

Many of the other recommendations that were made work very well.

Latest posts