What is perolite?

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
and is it safe to use in organic gardens?

gumpsgirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It is used to help aid with drainage when mixed in with soil. As far as I know, it is fine to use with organic gardening because it is just rock.

Here is a link to a site that will tell you all about perlite. http://www.perlite.net/

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Since I will be living in a very dry climate I was thinking that adding this to a couple of my beds might be a good idea to help hold water...and I think that after you put it down its there forever? any opinions?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it is used to aid drainage & therefore the opposite to what you need....!! SORRY! :D

You need to add stuff to retain moisture, like lots of compost etc.

Good luck & Happy Gardening! :tools :tools :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is what I use in my 'clay' soil to get drainage in my raised beds and none raised beds.... My dirt gets very damage and this is NOT what you want to use for holding moisture.

What you want to use is peat moss to help hold moisture...

Don't forget to mulch!!! :D

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is from the link provided on perolite above.

"Horticultural Applications

In horticultural applications, perlite is used throughout the world as a component of soilless growing mixes where it provides aeration and optimum moisture retention for superior plant growth. For rooting cuttings, 100% perlite is used. Studies have shown that outstanding yields are achieved with perlite hydroponic systems."

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Perolite is just a misspelling of perlite. It's a heat-expanded volcanic rock. Whether you want to use it is personal choice but it is not AFAIK going to leach scary chemicals into your soil or anything like that. It encourages soil to stay loose, which in and of itself can help water retention; likewise, again by encouraging looseness of soil, it discourages waterlogging.

Perlite grains are porous which I suppose could hold a *little* water but not meaningfully much. So it's not a particularly good way of increasing water-holding capacity of an already very free-draining or dry soil.

Adding organic matter of whatever type would be a lot better. Well-composted wood chips will last the longest, but any organic matter will gradually disappear over time and need replacement. (Keeping an organic mulch on the beds, like wood chips or whatever, will offer steady replenishment of the soil's organic matter without your having to really do much of any work)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, guess its scrap the perolite or perlite, whatever it is, idea.

I'm still figuring on doing mulch type beds mostly so maybe dryness won't be a big problem.... I want beds that don't have to be weeded or turned!
:lol: doesn't everybody!

Latest posts