What is the best way to store fresh beets?

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got a good crop of beets just about ready to harvest. I don't like to let them get really huge. I will be pickling most of them, but I would also want to keep some on hand to steam and slice for salads. What I wanted to ask is, what is my best semi long-term storage option? In the fridge or just a dark drawer in the pantry? Or should I just leave some in the ground until ready to use them? Will they just keep getting bigger in the ground or is there a stopping point in their growth?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They will get large in the ground.

I have kept mine for a really long time in the ice box, though everything I've read says they don't keep well in them. So perhaps it varies.

Some tips for longer keeping:

Cut the tops off to an inch or so.
Wipe off, but don't wash until ready to use.
Don't put into a plastic bag.

The best storage method is to have a cold cellar, of course, which I don't. Low temps, high humidity.

Alternately, a bucket of very lightly dampened sand, as long as the area it's in isn't too warm. You can put it in the room you air condition the most often! :)

My trick is to plant once a week or two, so that I have a constant supply of baby beets for fresh eating. I let the ones I pickle get large, and slice them for pickling.

You know, you could put more in now and keep going, so these don't have to last as long!

What type did you plant?

Good luck! :)

Latest posts