What is the best way to water?

sheps4her

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am having a debate with my Dh.. :rolleyes: What is the best way to water the garden??? He just won't listen to what I think is the best. I will not reveal what I think until I get some un-biased opinions. Thanks in advance for helping to settle a friendly debate.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I always water with sprinklers early in the morning before the ground surface has a chance to heat up. If it gets too hot, I think alot of the surface moisture evaporates before it is absorbed.

jacca5

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I always water at night about an hour before the sun goes down.

sheps4her

Leafing Out
Reaction score
thanks for the replies....but which do you think is better for the plants...watering the base of the plant or watering and wetting all of the leaves along with what time of day. We have different views on both!

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use a drip irrigation system in the evening for half of my garden and the other half(I'll fill in with drip irrigation next year. Need to save $$ first) I water with the hose (deeply) usually every other day unless it is really hot, then every day.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We make rows out of the dirt to plant our plants in, so we just dam the ends with more dirt and put the hose in it. The hose fills up the row and waters the plants on both sides. That's how we've done it my whole life, seems to work well! I cant access photobucket to show you a pic, but I have pics in my Garden Progression thread.

Forgot to add: Every two weeks, we irrigate the whole property. We open the ends of all of the rows in the garden and let the water flow. For the first few weeks of "life", the plants are usually completely submerged because they arent tall enough to get out of the water. I've never had problems with it before, so I guess its ok.

jacca5

Leafing Out
Reaction score
As far as how I water I do both. I always water leaves and all I think it is good for them. If it has been a few days or really hot out I stick the hose at the base too and let it soak in. Hope that helps.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Personally we have always deep watered at the base in the morning. IME, watering directly on the leaves can cause many problems with plants from pests looking to take a drink from the water to powdery mildew and other diseases. Watering the in early morning seems to be better than the evening so that any water that does touch the plant has a chance to dry out during the day.

A good deep watering once a week is all my plants get. I nor they can afford to get water anywhere else but directly at the base.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The real answer is that, it depends.

Some plants should not be watered on their leaves, unless you want to chance the problems.

On the other hand, if your conditions are right, (lot's of air circulating, warm weather etc.) then many plants do like their leaves wet. Overhead watering actually provides nitrogen. They will survive without it, though if it's dusty where you are, they don't thrive unless the leaves get washed off at least part of the time. If water's an issue, then putting it right where it's needed is the right thing to do.

The same goes for how often. It depends upon the type of plant, the temperature, the wind, the type of soil, etc.

I like to water in the morning, but if it's 115 out, with a good breeze, I sometimes have to go back in the evening. Never in the middle of the day, though.

I know the discussion you guys are having; I've had the same one with someone. Narrow down what you are growing, and all of your weather conditions, soil, water source and amount etc. and you'll come closer to which way is best for your situation. :) (Though sometimes a combination is best of all!)

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use Ollas to water my veggies. They are clay pots that you bury in the ground, fill with water and allow the water to slowly seep out of the porous pot into the soil. Your plant roots will gravitate toward the pots.

You can learn more about them here:
on you tube from Pathtofreedom