What is this insect feasting on my precious tomato?

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So I go out to water my garden today and see this little bugger feasting on a tomato:

1y3i15.jpg

209hfth.jpg

Look at him, eating away!!

aw9q3s.jpg

This is the second year I have had a garden, and the first one I am taking it super seriously. I already have enough problems with the birds and squirrels and now this?! I know it's not a tomato/tobacco hornworm but should I be worried about more? I took the tomato off and disposed of it away from my plant. I did not see any more on the plant at the moment. I know other caterpillars took out a growing tomato nearby a while ago that was low to the ground, but this tomato was about 2 1/2 - 3 feet above the ground.

BTW, hello all, been lurking a while but now I am posting. :D Tried looking this up on the internet, but I don't know where to start or have any books so I thought I would try here!!

Sorry for posting two threads here but since they are about separate pests I thought it might help to have two!! :idunno

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think journey is right about it being a cut worm--looking at the pictures the worm looked more similar to a cut worm than a cabbage worm.

I checked the garden again today--there was some bird/squirrel damage but I couldn't see any more worm damage or find any on it. The stems look good too, no damage there. Thank you for the help identifying this pest!

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh with the cut worm I just took off the tomato and threw it in the front yard. Didn't have the heart to do anything at the moment, even though he did ruin a perfectly good tomato! At least it wasn't as mangled as the ones I find from the squirrels/birds.

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I noticed more damage this evening and found two eating on my tomato plant stalks. When I tried to grab them they fell and I couldn't find them in the mulch. I am going to have to buy some BT, are there any brands/places to get it at that you recommend?

What's the best time to apply it?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Darn it all, I just found one of these darlings eating a zuchinni, not like i don't have enough to share but I have no intensions of sharing any with pests! I will be watching to see how to use the BT.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BT (bacillus thurigiensis) should be available in any garden store, even most of the big box stores. It is actually the toxin of a bacteria that causes caterpillars to sicken and die. Just mix it according to directions and spray it on. The caterpillars stop eating after the first bite of any plant it has been sprayed on although it may take them several days to actually die. Unfortunately it has a nasty smell so take that into account. It is harmless to warm blooded animals.

Latest posts