What is this?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I was afraid of that, my questions would put you to more work. I don't have a clue what that is. it could be some kind of import. I wouldn't be that surprised if it were a fern of some type.

That's not asparagus from a seed, those look like ferns. I have some of those. That sort of looks like asparagus form an established root, but at two weeks I think it would be a lot taller than 6". But growing like that in what I think is a shady damp area, some type of fern sounds reasonable.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
0170waspartop2.jpg

These are photos of asparagus before leafing out.

IMG_2989.JPG

It seems reasonable to me that Marys friends plant could be a single asparagus shoot before leafing out.

More info is needed. Is it in a sunny or shady spot? Thyme needs sun, moss prefers shade, so it isn't apparent what the location provides if both are growing there.
Are there any asparagus plants growing nearby or at a neighbors?
Has it bloomed or changed much as it's grown?

It doesn't look like a fern to me, at least none that I'm familiar with seeing as seedlings.

It will be interesting to find out what it might actually be.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I had a strange idea, for a strange plant.

I seem to be wrong as Wikipedia describes the plant: "The long thin stems of C. europaea are yellowish or reddish."

Dodder (Cuscuta europaea) is a parasite on other plants, like mistletoe. Instead of just growing on trees, dodder grows on there things like alfalfa.

I don't really know much about it. The picture shows a plant with green stems.

I wonder if the picture is only showing the flowering stems and is missing other plant parts that would make for easier ID.

Steve

DEFINITELY not dodder. I seen dodder. When they say yellowish or reddish they don't mean a shade or cast. The commonest form of dodder one will bump into in this country is bright orange, and resembles nothing so much as Silly String that has been sprayed on the plants.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
DEFINITELY not dodder. I seen dodder. When they say yellowish or reddish they don't mean a shade or cast. The commonest form of dodder one will bump into in this country is bright orange, and resembles nothing so much as Silly String that has been sprayed on the plants.

Pulse is right. I've seen a lot of dodder up close. It grows all over the brush in San Diego county. Orange Silly String is a great description.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was thinking asparagus too since i started from seeds & have seen them the past couple years looking that spindly. if they flower it should be a small yellow bloom. at least that is what mine have done

Latest posts