What is this?

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This Tree/Bush is about to grow so tall its going to be visible from the other side of the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1569.jpg

Here is a close up of the leaves

IMG_1570.jpg

I would really like to scale this thing back to a more manageable size without killing it completely.

Is there any way to propagate a new plant or two from this thing?

Thanks

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Where are you located? It would be easier if we knew what sort of possibilities to choose from.

But unless you live in the tropics I would guess a camellia of some sort. The flowers, leaves and overall growth form look vaguely right. And except in the tropics, there's not much else that is treelike and has red flowers (well, crape myrtle and red horsechestnut, neither of which this is).

Supposing it to be a camellia, http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B813-w.htm has more cultural and propagating info than anyone could possibly ever use :)

Pretty tree :),

Pat

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sorry Im located in Athens, Ga

Thanks for the link ill check it out

It looks kind of like a rose, thats why i posted it under Flowers and Roses but it has no thorns and is growing like a Tree.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pat is right, it's a camellia of some sort. Lucky you, it's a beautiful tree! Too bad it's so close to the house.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow... that is a camellia... a nice one, too. They are expensive out my way and I do nothing but kill them! :barnie

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
how do you kill camellias carebear?

cameillas are pretty easy to root, if you do decide to prune it just stick some small branches in a pot of soil and water it once in a while. (rooting hormone will help too). if you put a bunch of them in a pot a few of them will root more than likely. that house looks familiar, is it near south milledge?

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Beefy- This house is not near S. Milledge but I used to live there, this house is near the Country Club.

Thanks for the rooting Advice

PlumTuckered

Sprout
Reaction score
That's one beautiful Camelia!
My darling Chickens ate mine (my plant was only about 24 inches tall) and all I have left on the plant is 5 leaves LOL

Michelle