What Is Wrong, The Students At This Southern California University?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had not heard of that so I looked it up to see if it was real. It mostly is. A student body committee voted to ban all national flags from one specific area on campus, a lounge. This included the American flag. The student body executive council vetoed that resolution a few days later. It was not the entire student body that voted for that, just six kids. Six immature, idealistic, naïve kids active in student government. And it was quickly vetoed by the student council's executive committee.

You can read into it what you will but I don't see it as a call to overthrow the US Government by force backed by the entire student body of California Irvine. But my frame of reference may be warped. I was a college student from the late 60's into the mid 70's when student activism was pretty rampant. Seven years to get a four year degree, delayed by two years of military service and a year of working to earn money for school. I remember very late nights staying up playing risk, drinking beer while some kids did other illegal things, and having some really wide ranging political discussions with all types, though most of the student activism on my small campus was centered around trying to get the girls the right to not be locked in the dorm by 10:00 p.m., 11:00 on Fridays and Saturdays. That rule was changed.

This is part of what the executive council said when hey vetoed that committee's vote.

We fundamentally disagree with the actions taken by ASUCI Legislative Council and their passage of R50-70 as counter to the ideals that allow us to operate as an autonomous student government organization with the freedoms of speech and expression associated with it. It is these very symbols that represent our constitutional rights that have allowed for our representative creation and our ability to openly debate all ranges of issues and pay tribute to how those liberties were attained.

And here is my source.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/education/ucirvine.asp

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, disrespect and/or hatred. It was aimed at the Government because many, especially young liberals were against the Vietnam War and the draft of college-aged men into service to fight (and often to die) there.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
The State Of Vietnam was an independent country by 1949 as was Korea. When the communist army intended to take over in Korea we corrected to the 38th parallel.
The French who didn't offer much resistance and left Vietnam which had been part of French Indo China.
America's effort in Vietnam was on behalf of the people of Vietnam.

Do you remember Jane Fonda, the speeches she gave? Referring to the communist army as "OUR BOYS". She filmed these in Hanoi.
She was there with the lefties, spitting and throwing urine on the college-aged men returning home. These boys, our boys were their enemy.
There is a difference in not agreeing with a policy and being on the other side.

Burning the American flag was not aimed at an administration it was aimed at our country, it was aimed at us.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand the younger people not understanding the protests about Vietnam and flag burning.

Flag burning did what it was intended, inspire the establishment to come unglued. It worked. To make people question blind following of Government.

Only the poor of America fought. Why was that? The Bush's of the world were in America getting tanked in safety. Ask ANY career military man, it was a war of $$$$$. We weren't there to win it. Made corporate America very rich.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy very emotional time as world news showed the caskets brought back to America every night. Everyone was affected by family/friends deaths or severe injuries. And the things that happened there defy the imagination. The movie Platoon gives you a small glimpse--PG version.

Latest posts