What is wrong with my butter beans??

GwenFarms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The first of my two butter bean patches is beginning to make a stand. My green bean patch is just a few feet over. The green beans are growing beautifully, but the butter beans just aren't doing as well. Its hard to believe that there is that big of a difference in the soil with no more of a distance. I don't know whats missing. I've never had problems growing them before, but as I've said in previous posts, my whole garden has been moved to a new, previously uncultivated acre of our property. At sometime before we moved here this was part of the farm's "dump site". We have a large area of our property, primarily wooded, where trash was dumped. Mostly glass and tin can still be found everywhere. It'd be a bottle collectors dream. I did alot of work back there to get the land ready, but obviously something isn't right in this little spot, or I've missed something in planting my butter beans. I generally plant them the same as my green beans. I'm planning to put more in my second patch, I stagger for a longer harvest, early next week and hope they will turn out better. What do you think I may need to do?

Keep in mind I garden organic and don't use chemical fertilizers, but I never have in the past either, so that won't have anything to do with my sad little plants.