What is your favorite Tomato?

steffpeck

Sprout
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which tomato plants to plant this year. What is your favorite tomato plant? Thanks!!

Steff

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Brandywine pink Sudduth...is that spelled right??? lol
But there are soooo many kinds I have never tried .

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to pick just one?

Red: Brandywine is nice. A little fussy but an all-around good tomato. If I had to plant only one red tomato, I think I'd go with Three Sisters though--you get different size tomatoes on the same plant, and can sort through them for various purposes (salad, sauce, etc.).

Yellow: Yellow pear. Durable, prolific, requires little care and always sets more fruit than I can use. This is better than caring meticulously for a plant that only sets, like, two little tomatoes that get et by slugs, as happened to me last year. The three Marvel Striped tomatoes that I did get, were delicious and beautiful, but it seemed like lots of work and patience for three very late-season tomatoes.

Purple: I like Cherokee, but this year I'm trying Pale Perfect Purple. We'll see.

Paste: Ropreco did very well for me, and this year I've got Amish, Heidi, Banana and Ropreco again. Apparently Amish is very popular.

I'm not that into green tomatoes, if for no better reason than DH can't recognize when they are ripe. I need veggies that I can hand him a basket and tell him, "go get me some..."

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
I'm not that into green tomatoes, if for no better reason than DH can't recognize when they are ripe. I need veggies that I can hand him a basket and tell him, "go get me some..."
And he listens???.....

Does he have a brother????

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:lol: Define "listens." He rolls his eyes and sighs and whines like a 14-year-old, then wails, "WHAT do you want me to get NOW????" Then stomps out the door, fetches it, and goes back to his Xbox.

Ironically, his brother is quite good about helping me with anything I ask. And he can recognize a ripe Green Zebra tomato. I married the wrong one, go figure... :smack

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
:lol: Define "listens." He rolls his eyes and sighs and whines like a 14-year-old, then wails, "WHAT do you want me to get NOW????" Then stomps out the door, fetches it, and goes back to his Xbox.

Ironically, his brother is quite good about helping me with anything I ask. And he can recognize a ripe Green Zebra tomato. I married the wrong one, go figure... :smack
oh isnt reality wonderful LOL

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I dont know what the name is but they are the little yellow grape tomatoes. Everyone says they are yummy and come on plentiful. (I grow lots but I dont like tomatoes :rolleyes: )

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Only one??? You've got to be kidding! Well, I do a LOT of canning so my favorite tomatoes are pastes and my favorite paste is called Mom's paste. Some paste tomatoes are so meaty that there's NO juice and very little flavor but Mom's has a very nice balance.
My favorite slicer.....Kellogg's Breakfast if I'm just eating it plain, Stupice if it's going on a salad or sandwich....or Rutgers, or Caspian Pink....ugh, who can choose?
The ONLY cherry tomato we will plant is Sungold. Very nice sweet yet tomato tasting cherry.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh Geez! I could NEVER pick just one. Last year I had 3... in pots on my porch... because I could never do just one. This year I'm going to have 20+ plants and I have at least 13 different kinds. I always need one good for cooking, I need a good slicer for sandwiches and of COURSE cherry tomatoes that I can eat while I'm out in the yard or on any salad I make.

I've got several pear tomatoes, green tomatoes, a white tomato I'm dying to try. There is also some lovely italian reds for cooking and a Roomji tomato this is like the beefy tomatoes for slicing. I've got chocolate cherries, sweet 1000's and so many more!!!

This will be the first year I don't have Roma's. Each year they've done worse and worse. :(

Just think of what you are going to use them for most. Salads, cooking, sandwiches, eat 'em like an apple with some sea salt (one of my favs)... then chose one you'll enjoy the most use of. Just remember... heirlooms are popular and it will save you a lot tooking for seeds every year if you save your own. Good for saving $$$ as well.

Latest posts