What is your favorite Tomato?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh Geez! I could NEVER pick just one. Last year I had 3... in pots on my porch... because I could never do just one. This year I'm going to have 20+ plants and I have at least 13 different kinds. I always need one good for cooking, I need a good slicer for sandwiches and of COURSE cherry tomatoes that I can eat while I'm out in the yard or on any salad I make.

I've got several pear tomatoes, green tomatoes, a white tomato I'm dying to try. There is also some lovely italian reds for cooking and a Roomji tomato this is like the beefy tomatoes for slicing. I've got chocolate cherries, sweet 1000's and so many more!!!

This will be the first year I don't have Roma's. Each year they've done worse and worse. :(

Just think of what you are going to use them for most. Salads, cooking, sandwiches, eat 'em like an apple with some sea salt (one of my favs)... then chose one you'll enjoy the most use of. Just remember... heirlooms are popular and it will save you a lot tooking for seeds every year if you save your own. Good for saving $$$ as well.
I'm not doing Roma's this year either. I think I can buy them for less hassle. lol They just never do really well for me. I'll use that space for some new variety...

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've only really grown one sort of tomato ever, the beefsteak. I'm interested in a few varieties, but have resolved to grow what seeds i can find locally this season. next season, god willing, I'll send away for some of the heirlooms I've got my heart set on.

these year I've managed to come across "cooking" tomatoes, and cherry tomatoes in addition to the beefsteak.

if all goes will i will have the confidence and the acumen to spend money on something more exotic. but then i dont really have to wait till next season. perks of living in the tropics. i could start from scartch in August.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Only one??? :barnie oh my let me see hummmm :he Oh Dear how to decide...:idunno It all depend on what you want from a tomato do you want one that will make a sandwich with just one slice or cherry's for salads or plum for canning or???? or???? or???? Hummm :rant Brandywine most definately brandywine...then again...............................:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grew Lemon Boy last year, and it was DELICIOUS!!!!! :love This year, I got a yellow tom from Baker Creek called Azyochka (or something like that). Hope it's good. I also love Brandywines, although mine didn't do too hot last year. I'm hoping for better luck this time around. :fl

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Out of the 15-20 varieties I have grown, if I HAD to choose one, only one, I would go with Amish paste tomato. For those of you who haven't grown it, don't let the name fool you. It is a HUGE paste tomato, just juicy enough to be delicious, just meaty enough to make it worthwhile for canning and cooking. It's an heirloom, prolific, hardy, beautiful and SO tasty!

Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I like the heirloom variety called Vincent Watts. This is an indeterminate variety that was bred and improved over a period of 50 years. Plug in Vincent Watts tomato on the internet and you can get a lot of information on it. Flavor is very hard to beat.

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Out of the 15-20 varieties I have grown, if I HAD to choose one, only one, I would go with Amish paste tomato. For those of you who haven't grown it, don't let the name fool you. It is a HUGE paste tomato, just juicy enough to be delicious, just meaty enough to make it worthwhile for canning and cooking. It's an heirloom, prolific, hardy, beautiful and SO tasty!
I grow a LOT of Amish paste for my canning and they are lovely.

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't eat em but ,we have volunteer Tom e Toes, is what we call them, they come up around a old stump, I like to pick em, the Pheasants love them!! :D I pick the good ones for momma and daddy , and then when the peppers are hot enough i will pick some green to go in pepper sauce!!

Momma loves BIG BOYS but we useally buy from the farmer market.