What I've been up to and what is to come...

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey all!

Life has been crazy. I started a new job last August and went back to college. Whew, that was enough to knock me back for while. So now I am working on my Human Relations and Management degree while working full time as the front desk manager. Eventually I will be in charge of salon management as well as marketing and things of the like.

As far as my garden and animals goes....
Last summer I lost about half of my flock of chickens and 3 of my ducks to predators. So far I have only replaced 2 of the chickens I have lost. I have 10 ducklings coming next week as my duck egg 'business' has taken off. Their is a large Vietnamese family about 30min south from me and they have been wanting 10 to 15 dozen eggs at a time! They all keep telling me that they haven't had duck eggs since they immigrated here. I'm happy I can help them with that. As far as my chicken flock goes, I will probably add maybe 5 more and call it good for now.

My garden did pretty well last year. I was not overly impressed with my peppers or my cucumbers but have been stewing up some plans to fix that this year. I only started about half as many tomatoes and peppers as I usually do due to time constraints with my new job and school. I will be transplanting this weekend (hopefully). My garden will be the same size as normal but I won't have as many extra plants to sell to help make up for seeds costs. I hope the duck egg sales will help with that.

Anyways, I hope to be on here more. I've missed you all!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey girl, glad to see you are OK and haven't been wasting your time on gardening forums all winter, lol.

If you are going to spend all the time and money getting a degree, make sure it is something you can make some money at. I managed to find the lowest paying profession to get into. Would have made 3 times the money at anything other than social services.
Yeah, I know. Money isn't everything. That's what rich people say.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Better a job you love than a big bank account right? O.K. so some money helps us relax and enjoy the job and some fun. Like all are garden and animal addictions here on TEG! LOL
Way to Go HPQ. Like the others have said you will be glad you did it when it is behind you!

Last edited:

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good for you! I worked part time when I went back to school a few years ago, it was hard but one of the best decisions I ever made! I will say...adjusting back to "civilian life" after I graduated and started working in my field was weird! The first summer after I graduated, I didn't know what to do with my free time!! Anyway, best of luck and know that it won't last forever!

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This semester is OVER! Thank goodness. I've been busy planting my herbs in pots and getting my flower containers ready. Pulled a bunch of weeds in the flower beds today and plan on raising it up 12 inches to make weeding a lot easier. Getting a load of mulch brought in and two large straw bales to prepare the tomato and pepper patch. Busy busy busy!