What Kind of Edible Chew Toy is Best?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do rawhide bones harm a dog? Penny used to keep a rawhide bone for several days, now she starts eating it immediately. Are pig ears better? A bone from the butcher?
We had to put her on steroids temporarily due to eye allergies, so her appetite is increased. I don't know if she will continue to eat so voraciously after the pills are done, but I wanted your opinion on chew stuff. She doesn't particularly like the nylabone.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most rawhides are full of chemicals. Mostly a myth that they don't digest them, but true that they shouldn't have more than one a day if they tend to swallow them as soon as the dog has made them slightly soft. Our bulldog is an inhaler, not a chewer, so she even gets just half a bullystick.

Those are good, Bullysticks, but expensive!

If your dog shaves off tiny bits, then real raw bones are fine. I let the LGD puppy chew dried tree branches. Technically edible as long as he's chewing them up nice and not just splintering chunks. Bulldog has a thing for 2x4s...found that out when some wall was exposed... =/

None of the tough, long lasting, for heavy chewers, toys/treats have ever worked out. If they want to destroy it, they will, simple as that. Their tests don't use real destructive dogs, lol.

You can freeze water treats, blend water with some dog food or favorite food/treats, then freeze it. Dog will chew and eat it and cool down.

I don't know any dog that likes the rubber, soft or hard, chews or toys.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have a couple kong chew toys that both of them chew on everyday still look almost new. antelope horns are another get chew, nola has been working on one for over a month now...
only 1/4 gone, the only draw back is they are expensive $20.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raw bones fine cooked bones bad. I am a big believer in giving dogs something to chew on. My dogs love pigs ears I buy them by 100s online. I know lots of people freak over raw hides, I have never seen a dog choke on one, just say away from ones from china ( chemicals ) I also give my dogs carrots to chew on. When giving a new type chew, keep eye on stool, to make sure it agrees with dogs digestive tract . The good thing about giving chews is it helps keep tar scraped on teeth. Dogs teeth cleaning is outrageously expensive, so I happly spend money on chews..

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
What @Nyboy said, plus I like to give my dogs Himalayan chews, which is essentially extremely hard yak cheese. The dogs all love it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree on Kong toys. Wife's dog can even destroy them.....

We used to give dogs bones all the time. No longer as animals are butchered younger and younger and the bones splinter too easily.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a kong cone that we put asome peanut butter in
The center Nola or Ava have entertainment for hours, after that chewing and licking their out cold
Sleeping

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our dog buddy drags home deer and cow bones all the time and chews them up. We have always allowed him to have bones but not every dog is like ours. Our friends had a golden retriever who never had people food or bones one camping weekend another friend brought 2 knuckle bones from the butcher one for our dog and one for the GR. The owner hesitantly gave him the bone thinking it would be ok but that night he had blood coming out of his rectum and was rushed to the vet, sadly he passed in the morning. Yesterday our dog brought home a whole cow skull with the hide still attached, I wish the farmer who rents the land behind us would find some where else to throw his dead cattle. Yuck!!
174164599267765.jpg

Latest posts