What kind of flowers are these?

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went to our market and purchased these pretty flowers yesterday. I am wondering what they might be.

6152_dscn1629.jpg

Thank you,

Angie :rainbow-sun

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Which ones?

I see Sweet William (the pink and reddish ones), multiple colors of Bachelor Buttons (pink & blue), white or maybe pale pink cosmos, mauve balloon flowers.

Can't quite tell what the purple and orange flowers are though.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wanted to know about all of them. My husband said we needed to plant this same variety.

Thank you I will write these names down and now search for some seeds.

Angie

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The pink and red ones near the bottom are sweet william or some other variety of dianthus. I grow those because they are sold as an annual, but mine keep coming back. GREAT bargain :D

I think the tall purple ones that haven't quite bloomed yet are pestemons. I grow those too. These are perennial. Mine keep the butterflies entertained.
swallowtailbutterflyqm6.jpg

Looks like you also have some daisies (white ones). The blue ones...ACK...I should know that. I had some at one time but the cats destroyed it.

I want to know what the flat 5 petaled pinkish ones are. Those are CUTE!

It also looks like some kind of carnation is in that bunch (pale pink on the right...broken stemmed purple one on the left).

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The purple one in the bottom left of the picture (the one with a bunch of petals) looks like dianthus. The one with the longs stem and the small purple flowers on it looks like a variety of campanula, or maybe delphinium. It's a little hard to tell, tho. Beautiful bouquet! :)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could buy a packet of "Cottage Garden" mix from one of the big seed companies & it would probably contain the lot. They will most likely self seed (OR be perennials) so one packet will bring you a lot of colour & joy! :happy_flower :D

GOOD LUCK with it. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Those are really nice. So, you can just throw seed down and wait? When is the best time? After frost? We can pretty much plant all year round here, but I don't know about seeds.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually your purple ones are larkspur but look like pestemons. I have both my pestemons are pink/red and are called 'mexicali red rocks'. My larkspur is purple and I think they are gorgeous... they are useful for killing japanese beetles though...

I had the cosmos last year, the birds LOVED them.... I would LOVE the balloon flower, but I'm out of flower bed space this year for sure.

I would actually suggest ALL those flowers, plus add some coneflowers to the mix. They are all native plants that are good feeders of birds and butterflies! You'll love the nature that they will bring into your yard.

Let me know in the fall if you want any seeds or cutting from mine.

I wish you were closer I would split some of my pestemons for you.... they are HUGE!!!!

Latest posts