What kind of plant

thomasz

Sprout
Reaction score
I have 2 plants or actually bushes that the stems turn fire red in the winter the leaves are about 3/4 wide x 3" long i will post pics tomorrow too dark right now. they grew to about 6 ft this year after I pruned to the ground in late winter they grow like forsythias but do not get yellow in spring i will post pic tomorrow I want to get more or maybe do some cuttings for somewhere else but for the life of me I cant remember where I got them or their name but If I hear it I will recognize it thanks all PLEASE HELP!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could be a Firebush, Euonymus alatus. It comes in a dwarf and a taller variety.

Here is a sample

Burning%20Bush,%20Dwarf.jpg

If it is the Firebush, then you will notice a distinctive shape to the stems. Almost like the stems are 'winged' with a flat edge on several sides going up the length.

Ron

Raitch

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Burning Bush? thats what we call them here, looks simular to the picture above.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it is a burning bush, you will notice weird corky ridges along most of the twigs. Very odd, like a long thin flange along the length of the twig. Absolutely distinctive and nothing but E. alatus has 'em.

There are cotoneasters that would also fit your description but lack the long thin flanges.

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wait, the leaves turn red or the stems?

If it's stems, then it is probably one of the Cornus spp. red twig dogwoods/osiers. They also come in orange, yellow. The color only appears in winter after a hard frost, as that makes the outer bark peel off.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh! Rosalind, you get the "reading the words actually written" award :p

Yup, red STEMS is almost certainly red osier dogwood. Other possibility is a few shrub-sized willows -- that japanese 'flamingo' willow, with the pink and white variegated leaves, gets reddish stems in winter, and there is a normal greenleaved shrub willow 'flame' that gets redder stems.

A lot of places up north, red osier dogwood grows wild anywhere damp, and you may only need a shovel (er, and permission) to obtain a few more. Otherwise, it is a pretty common garden-center shrub. Avoid the variegated-leaved forms IMO - I have yet to see one that does not look HORRIBLE by late july or early august, with leaf damage.

Good luck, have fun,

Patyt

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Wait, the leaves turn red or the stems?

If it's stems, then it is probably one of the Cornus spp. red twig dogwoods/osiers. They also come in orange, yellow. The color only appears in winter after a hard frost, as that makes the outer bark peel off.
That's what it sounds like to me too...

Oh, and thomasz, :welcome

Latest posts