What kind of tree is this?

lexustami

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello all,

I live in Ohio and we have these trees that look like they have big green tennis balls on them. What kind of tree is it?

Thanks.

Tami

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
bluebird said:
what, no pics? My first guess is Osage Orange (hedge-apples)

Are they lumpy? http://hedgeapple.com/
Thanks for posting that link, bluebird. I kinda thought that's what they were talking about. Here they call them horse apple and the SO calls em bordark (sp?) which really confused me, but now I understand. His family is cajun french.

Now I know what to do with all those funky looking fruits that are everywhere in the summer!

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
"Horse Apples" - I didn't know that was a tree. I thought it was what horses leave behind... (honestly).

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Shallots said:
"Horse Apples" - I didn't know that was a tree. I thought it was what horses leave behind... (honestly).
Well, there's that too! :gig

These things don't look much better, but hey! according to that link they can be used to rid a home of spiders, so I'm all for em no matter what they look like!

Botprof

Sprout
Reaction score
The scientific name of the tree is Maclura pomifera and has these common names Osage Orange [because the Osage Indians made a orange dye from it]; Hedge Apple [because it was used in windbreak hedges]; Horse Apple [because horses will eat the fruit]; Mock Orange [because the fruit looks like an orange except is green]; and finally "Bois d'Arc" [usually pronounced by us as bowdarc--it is French and I don't know the correct French pronounciation--but it literally means "wood of the bow" and makes very good bows.]

It also makes good fence posts that will not rot. However, it can only be cut green--once it is dry--it will burn up a chain and bar of a chain saw and not be cut!javascript:insert_text(':)',%20'');

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Buff Shallots said:
:gig
Sometimes we call them "road apples". :lol:

Latest posts