What kind of tree?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no idea what kind of tree this is. The fruit has a large pit and it taste a little sour. Any ideas?

HPIM1435.jpg

HPIM1436.jpg

HPIM1437.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry,

Didn't mean to make my response so tiny and quick.

It is a plum, but it looks to be either a plum that has been cross-pollinated with a not-so-good companion. Ideally, you do want your plums to cross.

I have one plum tree that makes those tiny fruits if it does not have a cross-pollinator; so the general rule of thumb is to have several plums living together in an orchard. It makes for better fruit.

Genetically, this plum you have might actually be a Crab Plum; meaning that someone put a pit into the ground and this was the resulting tree. Lots of times the fruit to 'store bought' fruit is inferior because larger orchards utilize crab trees to do the pollinating.

Just a note: The word Crab means 'wild'. It can be associated with any kind of plant, tree, or fruit as an indicator that it is a non-hybridized cross or a wild version of it. So you can have Crab Plum, Crab Apple, Crab Pear, and so forth. Crab versions of a tree are heavy pollinators.

OK, I am sure the tree is gorgeous in the spring and those look to be excellent fruits even though they are small. Process them as you would the larger fruits and I bet you get a Preserve that is to brag about. A tartful fruit is just a jar and a sugar away from heaven. :D

Take care,

Ron

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Sorry,

Didn't mean to make my response so tiny and quick.
No problem! The little plums fall off the tree when they are the pinkish color and turn purple on the ground and rot which is weird to me. Shouldn't they ripen on the tree and then fall off? I've never seen a ripe one actually on the tree. :/

Latest posts