What kind of weeds are these?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have never been able to identify any weed except dandelions and stinging nettle. Now we have goats though so I need to know what the heck these are and if they're toxic to goats.
This foliage on this one looks a lot like carrots and it has a white taproot. Maybe Queen Anne's Lace?
8829_sam_3095.jpg

This one has square stems and a leaf arrangement like mint, but it smells AWFUL!
8829_sam_3094.jpg

I know this one is clover, I just don't know what kind. It has a black heart-shaped spot in the center of each leaf.
8829_sam_3093.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Number 2 is henbit. I don't know about goats, but it has been linked to staggers in sheep. Weird, because people eat it.
Number 1 might be Queen Annes Lace, or it might be hemlock, or possibly somebody else knows what it is.
Just as you already know, number 3 is clover, and like you, I don't know which one.

One outta 3 isn't too bad....:)

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not sure what they are, but it's too bad they're weeds. They look nice and green and pretty! LOL!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey! I think I have figured out another possibility for #1. It was niggling away at my brain this morning that it was something very familiar yet I couldn't dredge up the name... It may be filaree aka Texas stork bill (Erodium cicutarium ). We used to pick the seed heads when they were green and make "scissors" out of them. When the seeds dry they are long skinny curls which work their way into your socks. Anyway check out this description:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ERCI6&photoID=erci6_010_ahp.jpg

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
I am not sure what they are, but it's too bad they're weeds. They look nice and green and pretty! LOL!
A weed is only a plant that you don't want it where it is. I have henbit in my yard and it looks nice and is not in the way so I leave it. I also have clover, dandelion, violets and yarrow throughout the yard and I think it looks nice too.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Hey! I think I have figured out another possibility for #1. It was niggling away at my brain this morning that it was something very familiar yet I couldn't dredge up the name... It may be filaree aka Texas stork bill (Erodium cicutarium ). We used to pick the seed heads when they were green and make "scissors" out of them. When the seeds dry they are long skinny curls which work their way into your socks. Anyway check out this description:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ERCI6&photoID=erci6_010_ahp.jpg
Yes, Thistlebloom, I have seen little seeds that look just like that on them! Thanks so much.

About them being weeds, I have no intention of trying to get rid of them, so I guess you'd call them wildflowers. If I did get rid of them I wouldn't have much green left on the property, lol. Besides the goats and and chickens love them. I just wanted to make sure none of the animals would get sick from eating them. I don't have to water or fertilize, they're pretty, I don't have to buy as much feed for my animals and they increase the biodiversity on the property so I'm happy with my "lawn" of weeds. :happy_flower

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here, some springs, the henbit just takes over huge fields, making a sea of purple. If you squint your eyes and hold your breath, you might think you were in the lavender fields in France. (I have a vivid imagination, I've been told. :D)

stone

Leafing Out
Reaction score
3rd plant is medic. try searching "spotted medic". (Medicago arabica)
Try this link

The winter butterflies njoy the henbit, but it sure is weedy... Good thing that it's an annual.

There is lotsa weeds that look like carrot. Queen Anne's lace has a white tap root, and smells like carrot. Other similar-looking plants may have a white tap root, but won't smell like carrot. There are some poisonous carrot look-alikes, be careful. Don't eat it without a positive id.

Latest posts