What Looks Best?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering what all the gardens were doing today. I just noticed the flea beetle damage to my tomatoes last night. The tomatoes really look good though, most of them. The peppers are finally starting to grow and the ones with the tops broke off have started to grow leaves. The bush beans have struggled and are now starting to grow. The pole beans are just now up. The squash and cucumbers are there. The kale, we are eating and looks the best I ever grew for nice dark color. Collards are growing. I had to cut the spinach, it bolted. The arugula made like a rocket. I just cut the mustard today, it was starting to bolt. I am going to cut the lettuce tonight and hope to keep some of it growing, and starting another row in the shade. The garlic is sending out scapes that I am going to cut tonight and the potatoes look good. Beets look good, but I did not plant very many and Swiss chard looks good. Onions are growing, but I planted late.

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpeg
I have pulled out broccoli, kale, cabbage, chard and lettuce, all bolted. Getting onions (but they are about to flop), robbing new potatoes, but vines are beginning to yellow, so I'll be digging the whole crop soon. Pole beans, bush beans, eggplant and peppers are blooming. Tomatoes have set fruit, some are getting close to baseball size, should start ripening in about 2 weeks. Getting squash zucchini, and cukes from the first planting, and two new summer squash from Baker Creek, Desi and Tatume. They tasted great, different than yellow squash and zucchini and seem more bug resistant.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, but what about the peas?

I ate the first lovely, crisp snap pea, yesterday. It better not be the last! In 2015, all the peas failed! That has never happened in my garden before! Record highs, well over 100ºf, simply killed or damaged them so badly, they couldn't produce. The fava beans failed, also.

I planted earlier this year and far fewer (zero fava beans :\). Record high June temperatures, again! However, this is early June and 95º not 105º! I've also got them in a sheltered garden and that is a good idea but I don't have nearly the room for them.

It is good to see @Mauldintiger 's report here and on the potato thread. New potatoes made me think about the peas. Our June super heat seems to be blowing away right now, maybe in time for the peas.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 14238 I have pulled out broccoli, kale, cabbage, chard and lettuce, all bolted. Getting onions (but they are about to flop), robbing new potatoes, but vines are beginning to yellow, so I'll be digging the whole crop soon. Pole beans, bush beans, eggplant and peppers are blooming. Tomatoes have set fruit, some are getting close to baseball size, should start ripening in about 2 weeks. Getting squash zucchini, and cukes from the first planting, and two new summer squash from Baker Creek, Desi and Tatume. They tasted great, different than yellow squash and zucchini and seem more bug resistant.

Which bugs, squash bugs or squash vine borers? Squash bug resistant is very important here, vine borers not so much.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't seem to grow sugar snap peas or shelling peas. Last fall I planted some snow pea starts and they looked terrible so I gave up on them. Well come spring, they started growing! Ate quite a few from a couple plants but then I had to pull them out cause I needed the space. I'll try again come fall with those snap peas though cause I love those!

Mary

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tatume is resistant to both SVB (solid seems) and squash bugs, I think because it grows so fast. And I haven't seen any sign of the vine borers yet.
Knock on wood, most bugs have been hard to find in this years garden. Just speculation, but I have numerous robins constantly in the garden scratching around in the heavy mulch for any bug or worm they can find.
That's in combination with lots of onions, garlic and coffee grounds. First year I have scattered the onions around the garden and my first year putting down 15 gallons of coffee grounds each week. We had a very mild winter, so there should be more.
Whatever it is, I am grateful for it!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am having more trouble with slugs than any kind of insect at this point. We had a good strawberry crop, but alas, we ate most of them, and gave them away rather than freeze them.
Right now, my onions look really good. I planted a different kind this year, and they got more moisture. Also potatoes look good, but for some reason, I will be surprised if there are any actual potatoes growing underneath. We'll see.
Cabbage looks good. Tomatoes fair. Peppers look really puny and have gotten yellow from all the rain. I hope they make it. Pole beans are slow to take off, but I think they will be OK.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Lucky, grovel under those potatoes. I did and we will be eating new potatoes tomorrow. I planted mine if February, not sure when you planted yours, but my vines are pretty big. I wasn't sure they'd make potatoes the vines are so big but they are.

Latest posts