What makes carrotts bitter?

BarredBuff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just pulled one of my spring carrots and it was fairly large. I was glad. So I cut the tops and gave to the rabbits then I washed my carrot and ate it. It was so bitter! What causes that??

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to say- not enough water... If you have smaller carrots, you might want to harvest them. The babies might not be as bitter...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think Lesa is probably right about that.

My carrot bed was right beside a steep south slope one year. The ground was level but in a couple feet - it fell away sharply.

The carrots were quite bitter when I first tried them from that bed. Fortunately, by the fall they'd turned around and grown sweet. I think it was just the cool fall rains that saved them for me.

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, that is good to know but how could they possibly be underwatered. I live in Ohio and until June we had nothing but rain. I have had a really hard time getting my garden in because of all the rain including my carrots. They have only been up for about 3 weeks.

BarredBuff

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I went ahead and pulled most of the big ones and washed and cut them up and froze them. I can use them in soup this fall and winter. :D