What Pest is Eating my Plants? (PICS)

myfirstgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been noticing more and more leaves looking like the pictures below. Those are two different cucumber plants, but there are also holes in my tomato and eggplants. Can you please help me identify what is making those holes? How can I treat the plants organically?

9250_holes.jpg

9250_leave.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, it really helps to know what the pest is to treat it with minimal impact to the environment, organic or otherwise. If you just do a broadbased treatment not knowing what you are going after, you may miss your target and harm the beneficials.

For the eggplants, I suggest you look up flea beetles and see if you think that is your problem. They seem especially attracted to eggplants and leave the leaves looking like lace. I really don't like them. It could also be something else.

On the cucumbers and maybe tomatoes, that may be grasshoppers or something like that. I know grasshoppers are not supposed to like tomatoes but tell that to the ones I have. If it is something like grasshoppers and the damage is no worse than what you show, the best treatment may be to do nothing. It really does not look all that bad. However, it could be the start of an infestation from something, probably a beetle, that can do some real damage. If you can at all, try to find out what is eating them.

Try to get a description of whatever it is so maybe someone here can help you identify it and how best to control it. There are some really good people on this site about identifying pests.

Good luck with it. Finding out what is causing the problem is often the hardest part of solving it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you sen the pest on the plant? About dusk we see the Japense beetles settle in on our beans. NASTY bugs... your damage looks like what they are doing to ours. Get out early and shake them into a bucket of soapy water. Good luck. Oh and I see you are new to TEG. Welcome. :welcome

myfirstgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I have seen a grasshopper hopping around. I thought it was helpful, but when consulting with a friend found out pray mantis are the helpful insects I was thinking of. I will search for more insects in the garden to find out exactly what they are and find that pesky grasshopper and move it across the street :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you will find little yellow and black beetles. Cucumber beetles. They spread wilt to cukes and I am going to guess that is what is going on with your cucumbers.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
I think you will find little yellow and black beetles. Cucumber beetles. They spread wilt to cukes and I am going to guess that is what is going on with your cucumbers.
I agree,that's what my cukes looked like before they died. The beetle looks a little bit like a yellow ladybug, but they are BAD, BAD, BAD news.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The beetles look like this, or have spots and I bought yellow sticky traps to trap them, and I squish them whenever I can. The traps work pretty good with the squishing.

6992_166027_376423755745525_349897605_n.jpg

6992_273191_185757684812134_100001337108712_464479_1599732_o.jpg

Honestly, though, you could have a lot of bugs that's doing damage to a wide variety of plants.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
myfirstgarden said:
So, how do you guys treat the beetles/crickets organically?
Does crying count? I've actually pulled all of my cucumbers and squash because of the beetles and nasty squash bugs.

myfirstgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Agreed. There is probably a variety of insects feasting on my veggies.

I have not seen any of those small little beetles.

I did find a grasshopper and small green worms. There are also small black dots clustered on many leaves. I read that it might be the caterpillar droppings..Anyone have experience with this?

I want to get rid them for good. I sprayed with a soap water mix. I read BT works, but not sure if that is completely organic and healthy. Any info will help. :/

Latest posts