What plants do YOU have?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that you are in the UK, TheCuteOrpington.

These are some vegetable plants I have every year here in the Wild West of North America that I initially thought were vegetables of the British Isles. Or, that they were surely best grown in someplace OTHER than where weeks and weeks pass with no rain, humidity levels fall below 20% most every summer afternoon, and daily temperature swings more than 30 degrees Fahrenheit between a morning low and afternoon high:

Leeks and Celery Root (Celeriac)

I've had both for over 10 years. They Do Okay. They take the full season in the garden and aren't huge when I harvest them, although They Do Okay.

Steve

TheCuteOrpington

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that you are in the UK, TheCuteOrpington.

These are some vegetable plants I have every year here in the Wild West of North America that I initially thought were vegetables of the British Isles. Or, that they were surely best grown in someplace OTHER than where weeks and weeks pass with no rain, humidity levels fall below 20% most every summer afternoon, and daily temperature swings more than 30 degrees Fahrenheit between a morning low and afternoon high:

Leeks and Celery Root (Celeriac)

I've had both for over 10 years. They Do Okay. They take the full season in the garden and aren't huge when I harvest them, although They Do Okay.

Steve

Er.. I'm not in the U.K. Lol!

Nice!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, okay.

It's CommunityAllotment from the UK. @Hattie the Hen was from the UK. I remember that she had a special interest in two vegetables most gardeners don't even want to grow: Nettle and Salsify.

Nettle is around but not close. Salsify is around my garden. I've never harvested it's roots. They don't look all that useable when I have pulled it. Dandelions show up. My little backyard flocks will happily eat the entire dandelion plant if I put it in a plastic bag and microwave it for a minute.

What plants are you interested in. Ornamental, shrubs, trees, vegetables, lawngrass ... ha! You can be sure that it's terribly important to some people.

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sea Kale and Skirret, haven't been able to harvest any yet, takes a few years. Got interested in these two when watching The Victorian Garden series. As far as ornamentals go my fav is Cardiocrinum giganteum and have just planted a honeysuckle vine called Kintzley's Ghost (showy white bracts), mine hasn't done much yet so no pictures :(

Annette

TheCuteOrpington

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh, okay.

It's CommunityAllotment from the UK. @Hattie the Hen was from the UK. I remember that she had a special interest in two vegetables most gardeners don't even want to grow: Nettle and Salsify.

Nettle is around but not close. Salsify is around my garden. I've never harvested it's roots. They don't look all that useable when I have pulled it. Dandelions show up. My little backyard flocks will happily eat the entire dandelion plant if I put it in a plastic bag and microwave it for a minute.

What plants are you interested in. Ornamental, shrubs, trees, vegetables, lawngrass ... ha! You can be sure that it's terribly important to some people.

Steve

I think my favorite is vegetable plants. :)

Do you mean "is communityalotment from the U.K." Or "its communityalotment from the U.K."?