What rose bloomed first in your gardens?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wandering along my rose garden and looking at all the new growth. I have over 20 roses and it seems that most of them have buds all over them already. I am trying to figure out who is going to bloom first this year but I am still a week away.

Last year my Angel Face bloomed first and the year before it was my climber called Joseph's Coat.

I will post a picture of the first bloom once it arrives. Hoping that several of us here are also anticipating who is first to arrive this Spring. Please post a picture once they show themselves.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing them all!

Ron

As a teaser here is a picture of few of my roses.
2rcude8.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

Today was the first rose bloom day, March 26, surprisingly three roses bloomed in the same day.

Joseph's Coat, Angel Face, and Austrian Copper (is blooming yellow).

I want to get a picture but we are having one of our typical Spring Wind Storms and even if I tried it would be a big blurr.

Spring has its rewards and then it has its downfall in the desert. I really hate the winds. Next to bloom is my iris which will get shredded the same day they open. bummer.

Take Care, Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First of all that picture was a REALLY REALLY bad tease! :lol:

I can't believe I missed this post in the first place. I absolutely LOVE to look at roses... but I do not want to care for them. I did with my mother, and it was more about me taking care of them... and her reaping the rewards.... then dad would mow them over for me to tend to again.

I did see that Joseph's coat in a catalogue and I thought to myself, IF I ever were to bother with roses... that would be my very first choice.

Could you get another photo of it to add? I just LOVE looking at it. Such an array of bright colors. :D

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi vfem,

My Joseph's Coat is a lot of work. I put it on a small arbor which really is too small to contain it, so I find that I have to do more pruning than I really want to.

I do love all the colors that it presents. It is not an aromatic rose just very showy in color. In the future if I ever get really tired of maintaining it I may put it along a fence where it belongs. I learned that 'true climbers' like Joseph's Coat are not appropriate for small spaces like an arbor. Instead a rambler is better since it only grows canes that are no longer than 8-10 feet long and then stops.

Here is a closer picture from last year. I will try to get more this year once it is in full display.
2ep7wpc.jpg

On the other side of this arbor I have a fun rambler which the name has alluded me for several years. I finally resorted to just calling her my 'Lipstick' rose. She is a rambler and rarely at all needs pruning. Such a carefree rose (ummm, I wonder if her name is Carefree).

Here is a picture of the other side of the arbor.
whji93.jpg

Ron

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now I saw a suggestion for the joseph's coat to grow up a short fence and control the buds by laying them down on the fence and tying them. Then as it tries to grow up continue to tie the buds down goes left and right and it can cover 12-14'. It also claimed it would double the amount of blooms.

I don't have that much fencing, or patience to deal with it. Thank you for letting me drool over the photos though.

I need to look at that book again and see if it has tips and rose types that need less care if I ever go that route.

Latest posts