What sweet corn do you use?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My family, friends quit using open pollinated sweet corn (golden bantam) in the 60's. We switched to Illini extra sweet. Now I've switched to Providence--more hardy plant, like flavor better.

Side question, do you know anyone using open pollinated sweet corn?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad used Shoepeg when I was growing up several decades ago, but I use Breeder's Choice from Burpee as my main crop. I also pick up a different variety every year from my local garden store to try it, but I haven't found anything that beats the Breeder's Choice for me. Bodacious last year came pretty close, but I'll see what else is available this year when I need it.

Looking at the different maturity dates, I plant about six rows for maybe 8 to 10 feet lengths, then plant another 8 to 10 feet so the next crop matures 10 to 14 days later. This gives me corn to eat on as the summer goes by, plus I get a good canning, 15 to 18 pints, at a time. If I planted all the corn a one time, I'd have to devote three of four days at one time to canning corn. That could get monotonous, plus if events prevented me from canning at that specific time, I'd have a problem. Sweet corn does not stay at the peak of perfection for very long.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, I moved on from Golden Bantam and grew Earlivee for quite a few years.

Then it was on to Sugar Snow but that seed has been hard to find lately.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit to growing Fleet in recent years. It is such a tiny plant and the ears are small too - very quick maturing, tho' & tasty.

My intent is to enjoy sweet corn for more than the last week before frost. Also, I'm more confident growing a variety that has good emergence in cold soil. That limits the choices and I've stayed strictly with the quick maturing SE varieties for a long time.

Bodacious is really a pretty good sweet corn and I'll have that and Ambrosia this year. I understand that Ambrosia is a bi-color sister to Bodacious. Nothing "cutting edge" to either of these choices ;).

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Burpee's Silver Queen hybrid one year. I thought it was pretty good, but my wife told me to grow the Breeder's Choice instead. Somethings I don't argue about or try to explain.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like Honey N' Pearl sweet corn. Keeps its sweetness for awhile before turning to starch.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We arent loyal to any one variety... I tend to buy the one that sounds sweetest! This year we have Blue Jade Sweet Corn, Baby Sugar Sweet, and Country Gentleman.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
My family, friends quit using open pollinated sweet corn (golden bantam) in the 60's. We switched to Illini extra sweet. Now I've switched to Providence--more hardy plant, like flavor better.

Side question, do you know anyone using open pollinated sweet corn?
Personally I don't like the xtra sweets. All I taste is sweet, not corn. In almost every blindfold taste test of open pollinated corn Silver Queen (not the hybrid) comes out ahead but some folks are turned off by the white color. Golden bantam tastes great and has the advantage of less blowover in a rain storm.

Latest posts