what to do? now own 2 houses, which to keep?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my father in law passed away over 6 weeks ago and we have been trying to get his house clean out of a lot of stuff(mostly junk) he had been keeping over the 30+ years he had been living there. my dh is his only living son so he got all that was left including the house and the 2 cars. one car we've given away to my dh's nephew and the other is a GMC Sonoma truck so i am deciding if i want to keep it but i don't drive a 5 speed so we may end up selling it and using the $$ to get me an automatic truck for my gardening/landscaping/chicken chores.

the bigger question is what to do with his house which is fully paid off while we still have almost 26 years left on our mortgage! his house is over 100+ years old, has an acre of land, 2 larger bedrooms, possibility for a second bathroom, a root cellar, pantry area, more space, a nice new furnace with no issues :D a wood stove as backup heat, and not directly on a busy street near the highway! oh, and did i mention more space!!! :D

the issues with his 100+ year old house is that he didn't keep a lot of it maintained well. he had been fixing some of it up the past few years but mostly stuff related to heating, stairs going to basement, and the porch overhang supports. being so old it has horse hair plaster crumbling in areas like the upstairs ceiling and a few walls. the sill plates will need replacing (we have done this to our own house so we know how to do it). the kitchen sub-floors will need to be ripped up and redone since there was water damage from a freezer getting so full of frost (more like tons of ice!) that when he tried to defrost it 3 years ago and then ended up in the hospital, it gushed all over the floors and caused it to rot even more. :/ the beams running under the floors still look sturdy so i know those didn't get damaged. there is a deck area on the back but the wood rotted away years ago and what is left is the cement block support/foundation walls that could be turned into outside storage. there is no garage on the property or any sheds (or in the case of my chickens-a coop), so those would have to be built eventually if we chose this house to live in.

dh has been out of work off and on for the past couple of years so right now he has time to go through the house and decide what to keep, throw out or sell. the bigger issue is that we already are strapped to our mortgage with our small cape style house with 1 very small bathroom (with just a shower and no tub :( ), with 1/2 acre, garage, a busy street living across from the Dept of Public Works, the highway traffic about 2000' away from the house. we are paying about $1400 per month to stay here.

if we chose to renovate his dad's house it would costs us about $400+ per month for taxes and home owners insurance. any extra money saved would go to fixing up the place over time! our house is in decent shape and close enough to town but still on the outskirts that it is nice for a small, just starting out family or someone looking to downsize. (we have no kids and don't plan on them at this point). i'm just worried about this economy and if we would be able to sell either house. if we sold our house i would try to get what we initially paid for it and that is about the current going price in our area for a nice house.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since you own FIL's place, I would talk to a Realtor and see what they think about selling your Cape.(Wouldn't hurt to get their opinion on the larger place too.) I would get the Cape on the market ASAP and take a wait and see attitude. The big house sounds like it is going to be a lot of work- but you could be instantly debt free. That is priceless! This is an exciting dilemma- keep us posted on your plans!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks Lesa, that is sort of my feelings on this too. his dad did leave some money so the taxes have been paid up for 6 more months. i'd like to be debt free on this too and soon!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's perfect! If you can sell your house in 6 months- you won't have anything but homeowner's insurance for the other place...(and minimal heat, to keep the pipes from freezing). Since you will have your FIL's place- you can stage your Cape and get all the "extra" stuff out of there- to make it look larger. Sounds like a win-win to me!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would sell the cape and keep your fil's house. His house is bigger, more acreage, and no mortage! It sounds like it is livable. I would take your $1,400 mortage and use it to buy materials and start renovating one room at a time. I would start with the one that requires the least amount of work. This way you would see almost instant gratification and would keep you motivated. My goal would be to do at least one room a year.

Ten years from now, I see alot of improvements on the house. With improvements, it sounds beautiful. Is your husband able to do any of the work? If he can, now seems to be a good time since he is not fully imployed.

With the economy the way it is, a $400 house payment sounds alot better than a $1,400 payment. :)

You are in a wonderful position, I wish you the best of luck.

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my dh should be able to do the work but he seems to be unmotivated unless he has someone helping that knows what they are doing. good thing he has a friend that is a carpenter and mostly works from his house doing other work. his friend would be able to help him on the weekends if we needed him.

we have spoken to a couple of friends that have been in the real estate industry. one is still in it, the other has been out of the profession i think for about 5 years now. the one still with his license thinks we could get about $130k for my FIL house in the shape it is in. the other friend who is no longer in the field thinks we could get a lot more because of it's location to the hospital which is a house away and just across the street. she thinks that a doctors office might try and snag it for their future office or the hospital itself might try and grab it for future expansion. (which i don't like the idea of this possibly happening since the hospital already owns just about everything around it)

our current house has some items we are still trying to fix. the shingle siding has been a mess since we bought the house expecting to re-do it eventually. there are a couple of old windows that the glass panes are broken and missing. we were hoping to replace all the windows over time but that also got put on hold when dh lost his job and then had been working odd hours for a temp job. i will also need to check with the neighbors of FIL house to see if they would be fine with me having my chickens. i have a couple of roosters but i have a comfy setup for the boys that my current neighbors don't seem to notice their crowing or that they are even there!

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here's my professional opinion as a Realtor:

1. Listen to the friend who is still in the industry, assuming they aren't super new to real estate. It's a different world than it was 5 years ago.

2. Keep the property you will love and enjoy more, regardless of the investment. This is always the most important thing when it's a primary home, unless you KNOW that you may be forced to move because of work or some factor that is out of your control.

Good luck!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My husband is in the military so we've moved some. We always bought the worst house on the street then it was nice by the time we moved and had to start over with the next fixer upper. It isn't bad if you have the time the paid off thing it great. The one thing I would make sure of it that the foundation was sound. If it is OK then you can make it your own.

Good luck.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look into all of your options before you make a decision. Perhaps put them both on the market and see which one sells. Would your husband feel comfortable living in his Dad's house? Mortgage free in this economy would be a real blessing. Renting your house out if doesn't sell would cost you money, however eventually it could be your retirement. I help my husband with all home improvements. The company and holding the other end of the sheetrock can be very motivational. It is unlikely that your house is worth what you paid for it, but it depends on your locale. If the hospital owns everything else I can't imagine it would be a pleasant place to live. Do you have or want animals? The power the hospital has in the community would outweigh your needs. Think carefully before you make a decision. Perhaps contact the hospital and see if they are interested?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
1) Great question, would your husband be comfortable living there w/memories? I couldn't.
2) If he is, keep the property you like the best.

It is great to have a friend who is in real estate for advice that is in area. I had cousin but he was not in area and after investigating, he found out he wasn't good advisor.

Latest posts