what to do?

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
we planted squash, watermelon, tomatoes, broccoli and cantaloupe - only two tomatoes and one squash are doing well. they get water every day and fertilizer when it doesn't rain, and are in full sun. we've started seeds for lettuce and cukes and they seem to be doing ok.

i'm not sure why the others look so bad?
we're in central NC

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Different plants, even of the same variety, are going to grow at different rates. some seem to take off and others will sit and pout for a while sometimes. Why do you think some are not doing well?

If you are watering every day then that is too much. Let the soil dry out in between watering/rainfall and make those veggies develop a deep root system. Water deeply when you are watering rather than just a little bit that doesn't really penatrate deep into the soil. You'll get much healthier plants that way. Fertilizing really only needs to be done a few times during the growing season, depending on the plant, what type of fertilizer you are using and how much rain you are getting. Good luck! :)

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
for the past week we've had rain at least once everyday. if it hasn't rained by noon my hubby runs the sprinkler on the veggie garden. we've fertilized with miracle grow liquifeed once a week (on sunday if it doesn't rain) and he's tossed some fert. pelletts on the garden when he did the grass.
we planted in an elevated bed in two year old leaf mulch b/c we didn't have a tiller at the time (we do now).

i'm guessing too much water?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember Dad being careful with fertilizer around squash, melons, cucumbers, anything of that type. He said too much fertilizer would burn them up, especially when they were sprouting and starting to grow. He would side-dress later but never get the fertilizer too close to the plant and he'dwork it into the soil well.

When planting them, Dad would dig a shallow hole, put chicken manure in it, make a mound of garden soil over the manure, then plant the seeds. He's have at least 6 inches of dirt between the chicken manure and the seeds. The chicken manure was not composted but it was old and dried out, not fresh.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it helps, I am near you and we've had ridiculous amounts of rain. I have not watered here once since last Friday or Saturday. You really should have not watered at all this week. In fact, my cantaloupes have died yesterday and today and I had to replant because of the rain! They finally just wilted from too much water... but that is on Mother Nature and you take what you can get. On the other hand everything else I have going have thrived. :ya

Now, with the weather being what it is, watch your lettuce... if its getting FULL sun all day in this heat and humidity that lettuce is likely to bolt. My neighbor and I finished with our cool season plants already... its just gotten too hot in NC. :sick

Honestly, with how things have been I think everything has gotten too much water. Lots of water makes cukes, watermelon and tomatoes happy... too much water will make everything else rot and wilt. :bee

i do think you are fertilizing WAY too much. I have liquid miracle grow my mom gave me, and I don't use it because we grow organic only... the bottle says once every 3 weeks "IF" needed. You should not be combining pellets and miracle grow on top of it! You are probably burning the plants. If you want to use the pellets the general rule is to fertilize 3 times in a growing season.

Good luck!!!

:welcome

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
the lettuce is still on the deck in peet pots. the seedlings haven't gotten big enough yet. we'll stop the fert.

i did notice small tomatoes on those plants today whoohhoo

Latest posts