comfrey
nasturiams
peas
mustard
radish
sunflowers
indian corn
pumpkin

and of course, spent plants and split tomatoes, etc. but those are the major ones. any suggestions?

and what about millet, amaranth, quinoa? what do i have to do to these to feed them?
thanks!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't do goats but I have chickens. Some of this might be under your "spent plants", but for chickens I'd suggest you try kale, chard, lettuce, mesclun, spinach, any of the greens crops. Chard and kale especially will continue to produce all summer long, but my kale does get real buggy due to the cabbage moth. New Zealand Spinach produces a lot in the hot dry days of late summer.

Mine like the leaves from cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli. They also get winter or summer squash. Just split them open and soon nothing is left but rind. Also cucumbers. Again, split them and they clean out seed and rind.

Some of these have side effects. The pumpkins and squash seeds are natural wormers for chickens. They do not kill the worms but sort orf paralyze them so a lot loosen their grip on the intestines and are flushed from the system. It does not get rid of all worms but does reduce the worm load in the chicken.

Cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower contains a substance that, if fed in huge quantities, can damage them. I feed these to mine and don't worry about it, but I don't feed huge quantities of them for days on end. They also have stuff in them that are great for chickens. Just think balanced diet and moderation.

Regular potato peels are fine for chickens, but those green potato peels contain a substance that is harmful to humans and chickens. I don't panic if they get a bite or two of the green stuff, but that is one thing I actively try to avoid feeding them.

Another thing to watch is uncooked or undercooked beans. Again, I don't worry too much if they get some, but when I hull out dried beans, I try to not feed them a big pile of the rejects. Those go in my covered compost pile where the chickens cannot get to them.

With any of this, think moderation. Looks like you are well on your way.

blueberrysal

Sprout
Reaction score
I plant kale and collards just for the chickens, and pick a dozen or so leaves for them every day during the winter. This year I planted red clover as a cover crop in the unused part of the garden, and find that the hens enjoy grazing on it when they get some "free range" time, or I cut a few handfuls with the clippers to throw to them. Hope this gives you some ideas . . .

Latest posts