What to plant in shady area

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What can I plant in front of my mobile home other than bushes? I plan on putting in some azaleas but would like other complimentary plants in between. I would also like to include may be some herbs. It is totally shaded and I don't know if anything will grow right there. I did have some bushes, but they stayed really small and eventually a few died (after 10 years). So I pulled the rest of them. I need some ideas. ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever grown hosta? They are shade loving and come in some attractive varieties. What about some of the grasses? Most herbs I can think of enjoy full sun- but that being said, many of them seem to adapt to different environments. I would certainly try a few of your favorites as an experiment. Many things prefer full sun- but that doesn't mean they won't grow in less than that...
Might be a good idea to supplement that soil with some organic matter- it might just be "tired" dirt...
Good luck- let us know what you decide!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Total shade? No sun at all? How about reflected light?

Hosta's, as Lesa mentioned pop to mind. Ferns, impatiens, iron plant will all grow and even thrive with a lot of shade. But everything needs some sun.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
By totally shaded do you mean it doesn't get any sun?
There are lots of plants that are happy in all day shade. Hostas for one as Lesa said.

thinking...thinking...thinking...

Well here's just a short list of some that I grow. (We're in different zones but these should all work where you are.)

perrenials:

ferns
hellebore (lenten rose)
bergenia
fillipendula( Theres two types I have, "Queen of the Prairie" which is about 4' tall and meadowsweet which only gets about 18")
thalictrum (meadow rue - it's my favorite, gets about 6' tall but is very airy)
astilbe
persicaria (different kinds of these, I prefer the persicaria virginianum
"Painters Palette", it has a pink, green and white varigated leaf)

Then of course there's the ubiquitous shrubs, like rhodies, & azaleas (they probably need some sun).
I grow Clethra in mostly shade (clethra alnifolia, blooms late summer, smells wonderful)
Grasses like lesa said, Japanese forest grass is a pretty one....

Sorry for the long post.. I got a bit excited...

edited to add- I love your mule!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I believe it gets indirect light or the bushes would have died sooner. But it gets no direct sun. The house shades about a 2 to 3 foot area right in front of the house. I plan on building it out to about 4 feet so the front edge will get sun. My house just looks so plain in the front with nothing growing but a few trees and grass. Now my back yard is teeming with life, :D. I will try the hostas, my granny has a bunch of those and may be some roses, hers do good in filtered light under a gigantic 60 year old pecan tree.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, if granny has hosta, ask her to share. They are so easy to divide. Just dig them up, and hack away! This will benefit her plants and give you some too!!

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ostrich fern
Lamium
hydrangea
Bleeding heart
phlox
echinacea
sedum

Hostas come in so many colors and sizes, it is amazing. You can get them with leaves in various shades of yellow and blue as well as every shade of green and variegated.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bleeding heart is a great idea!! I have some in sun and shade. The ones in the shade last right up until fall. The sunny location dies back, early in the summer. For annual color there are always begonias. They don't mind shade.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hostas
huchera
impatients
astibee
coleus
monkshhood (if its a little sunny a little of the time)
blue poppy
forget-me-nots (spring)
perrenial bachelor button will even bloom in shade

Latest posts