What to plant Marigolds with?

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm debating where to put my marigolds, I can make a little bit of extra space for them but I'd rather mix them with something. I can throw them in with various vining plants, tomatoes, or under corn mixed in with vining plants. Thoughts?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:D Yeah I would plant some with the tomatoes for sure. And if you have some room in your flower beds or pots plant some with your other flowers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cats, nematodes attack nearly every plant, even out there on your lawn and in the wild! This is how I understand it anyway, it is one reason it becomes so difficult to avoid the damage they cause in our gardens. Nematodes are everywhere, chewing on everything!

Except marigolds and a few other things, apparently . . . so, it may not make much difference where to put your marigold plants. However, heirloom tomatoes don't have resistance to nematodes usually, and not all the hybrids do either.

The University of Missouri horticulturalists consider tomatoes, okra, beans, squash, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, muskmelon, eggplant, watermelon - very susceptible to nematodes. So, it looks like your idea of also putting them with the vining crops is a good one.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a ton of french marigolds and I plant them throughout my veggie gardens. :) Great pest control and they add color.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay it looks like I'm going to be scattering them around the garden then. But I probably won't get them planted today, our dry streak has ended and it's raining/thundering again. :(

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted marigolds with my tomatoes as they are supposed to help keep the stink bugs away. Last year I was over run with them - this year I've seen one! I'm not sure it's because of the marigolds, but I'll plant them again next year.:)

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If I could I'd border the whole veggie garden with marigold for two reasons: wonderful pest deturant... and I think they are just pretty :)