what to plant on ugly bank

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When our house was built, they leveled the backyard by scraping into the hillside, leaving a 3' bank. At the base of the bank is a small drainage ditch for draining the lawn area. This bank is ugly, with tree roots exposed, rocks exposed, little soil and a few ugly weeds. The upper side of the bank is woods which keeps the bank shady throughout the morning. The bottom side is the grass (mostly moss) lawn.

What can I do to make this bank more attractive? How can I improve the soil when it keeps rolling off the bank and clogging the ditch at the bottom? What kind of plants can handle a western, shady exposure with no decent soil and litte abilty to water it, but the base of which is soggy in the spring?

I need a miracle plan!

Thanks,
Inchy

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kudzu or ivy; but don't do that :)

If it were me I would concentrate on stabilizing the bank and trying to restore some semblance of soil. Can you pile leaves, hay, straw, composted manure, etc against it? If it won't stay, maybe pin it down with netting or prop it against the bank with brush. Leave it alone for a few years, and unless an awful problem emerges just LET the weeds grow (they will help break up the exposed subsoil clay so it can knit together better with the compost you're creating). Then come back three years from now and get opinions on what to plant there :)

Good luck,

Pat

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have the same problem at our house but it's a much larger embankment. The only thing we've been able to come up with so far is trying to make some kind of terrace set up where we build up a series of walls and add dirt and compost to make a stable area for growing. Haven't done it yet because it's too expensive but someday....

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've got the same problem in our backyard, but it's more of a hill. We tried grass seed, but it's not hanging on very well. What are good plants for erosion control?

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
We have the same problem at our house but it's a much larger embankment. The only thing we've been able to come up with so far is trying to make some kind of terrace set up where we build up a series of walls and add dirt and compost to make a stable area for growing. Haven't done it yet because it's too expensive but someday....
Good luck. Terracing is very expensive.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This does sounds like a pricey problem. I do have to agree with taking the time to figure out how to control the erosion first. Planting may actually worsen the problem. Without a picture I couldn't tell you how involved it would actually be, but it does sound like a retaining wall or series there of may be your answer! :/

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your problem but I must say that no one should ever plant Kudzu on purpose.:)
Nancy

Latest posts