What to plant ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We live in SW Washington... our subdivision was built on a former swamp filled in rubble rock and different soils on top of them. The state of Wa. owns the land right behind our back fence, so they installed a drainage channel there for over a mile and a road beyond that channel, and there were many large cottonwood trees which they cut down 2 years ago. We had just over our average rainfall for the year that came down concentrated in Dec, and Jan.. My groundcover ( a very low growing thyme, called "red " ) started to die , Irish moss are turning yellow ( I think half will succumb ) as well as about half of our azalias, among some others. Some of that tyme groundcover survived last winter, however this year the rain gods are sending more rain in the form of drizzle to light rain almost all day daily. about half are starting to turn yellow . I dug 9 dry wells in the front yard and dug a new " creek bed " to drain the back yard.( there was 2" of standing water in the creek beds this morning I set out a few 5 gallon buckets the first week of Nov. .to see how much rain we are getting.. this morning the rain water was 2 " from the top. The River Birch, Japanese maples Mugo pines, and all ferns, beauty berry ( from China ) , sea pinks, corral bells are all doing well. We also have a 8 month old German Shepherd puppy that crashes over/ onto plants as she runs in the back yard. Can anyone recommend a short groundcover , short shrubs or bushes or ??? that would survive the wet winter conditions ? :caf

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
what is native to that area that will hold up? the dog running around may need to be discouraged from digging up new plants but once established many plants can tolerate once in a while disturbance. miniature irises, i don't think any animal really disturbs them, but iris borers can be an issue. ferns and mosses, may not do well in high traffic areas but off to the sides and among nooks and crannies in rocks. the thyme may also recover and do ok in spots.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
what is native to that area that will hold up? the dog running around may need to be discouraged from digging up new plants but once established many plants can tolerate once in a while disturbance. miniature irises, i don't think any animal really disturbs them, but iris borers can be an issue. ferns and mosses, may not do well in high traffic areas but off to the sides and among nooks and crannies in rocks. the thyme may also recover and do ok in spots.
The native plants are oak, pine, cottonwood trees all over 40' +++ tall. When the soil becomes this soggy, add some wind whistling down through the Columbia River Gorge and they decide to dance upside the soil and come crashing down on one's houses. The native tree grove across the road ... there are about a quarter of the trees that have fallen but still being held up at many angles by their still standing neighbors. This dog doesn't dig, but she crashes unto plants and breaks them at ground level. Also, she chews the pants and carries them off. I have MANY ferns and moss growing on top of hills surrounded by hundreds of pound size boulders. The 1-2" thyme are turning yellow and most likely die out, unless new plants come up from their seeds. :idunno

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just looking at the Alpine Strawberries that have invaded my back lawn for many years. I suspect that they continue to spread but they certainly aren't especially invasive and allow some bluegrass to grow. Alpine Strawberries are hardy to below zero and I'd imagine that it would grow fine at a much lower elevation. How good of a ground cover it would be for you, I don't know.

Of course, you live nearly or within rhododendron country. They are probably a little further west in the Coast Range, certainly, they are in those mountains in southern Oregon. Azaleas are a cousin and three are many domesticated varieties of both rhododendrons and azaleas.

Oregon Grape are everywhere in the forests of the PacNW. There are domestic varieties of Mahonia even tho the native Oregon Grape itself makes a nice shrub for the yard. Syringa are indigenous and add a good deal to our forests with their blooms and fragrance. There are domestic Mock Oranges as there are of the native Serviceberry. Not far away, one Native American group was known as "the people of the Serviceberry" by their neighbors. I'm a little surprised that there are indeed domestic varieties but you might want to check them out.

Sometimes, I'm surprised that some plants, like one or two ground covers that I'm thinking of, are considered invasives in other places. They likely aren't natives in our area and the climate keeps them in control.

If you are asking about perennials, I was on here in May trying to find out what was in my son's yard in South Portland. He had sent a photo and TEG gardeners identified it as a Rose Campion. Of course, there are many, many herbaceous perennials that are natives or do well.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wonder from your description how much sun is getting to that area. thymes here usually do the best in full sun. when you have a combination of limited light and more rainy periods then that is likely why you are going to lose some of those plants, but if some survive and are around for your next sunny spells then they may persist. if you've already had success getting them to grow then the conditions are not so bad for them. the soggyness just means they want some more elevation if you can provide it, or a better drain if you can't. if you can't provide any remedy then you're going to have to look for plants that like more soggy climate and those do exist.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wonder from your description how much sun is getting to that area. thymes here usually do the best in full sun. when you have a combination of limited light and more rainy periods then that is likely why you are going to lose some of those plants, but if some survive and are around for your next sunny spells then they may persist. if you've already had success getting them to grow then the conditions are not so bad for them. the soggyness just means they want some more elevation if you can provide it, or a better drain if you can't. if you can't provide any remedy then you're going to have to look for plants that like more soggy climate and those do exist.
Our rainfall amounts vary with @ 6 year la ninnya (?sp) ocean cycles. We are now in the wet cycle. Then add the fact that the state cut down hundreds of cottonwood trees behind our back fence for about a mile long. So, much more soggy now than before. I dug a new dry stream bed and dry wells last year for extra drainage. Since the cottonwood trees are now gone, w'e have more sunshine coming through from the W side, however during this current wet cycle the daily overcast cloudcover negates that. I am actively looking for available plants that do not cost a King's ransom, would survive and thrive here, their fruits do not interfere with my prescription medication, fit in with the existing plants, and step-able ground cover. I already tried many of the native plants as well as vegies ( you have to look long and hard to find row crops around here ) grown by many here on this site over the past 6 years, but for whatever reasons, they do not live long here. So, anything from anywhere is on the consideration table. :idunno:caf

Latest posts