What type of fertilizer do you use for rose bush?

GreenGardenMom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We all know that roses need more fertilizer. I used to use the most common one in HD which is generally for all flowers. Do you guys use any special type?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i give mine a yearly dose of salt water! i have a wild type of multi floria that seems to love it when i've done that! if you have a compost area i would suggest you make a compost tea from some of it to pour around the base of the rose bush. or even some composted manure covered over with mulch. you can find that at some of the garden centers and green houses.

i found the best type of fertilizer for my peppers to be fish emulsion so i would imagine that may work well for roses since it is easy to absorb into the ground and roots!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used the same generic fertilzer recipe I got from the mother earth news but that needs applications about once a month for veggies and so I was doing it whenever I could remember last year. But this year I just got some of the oscomote(sp?) rose formula. and i should only have to put it on like twice a year I think. And it is a small bag but you only use a dime size. Right after I put it wow did the bushes grow.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use Compost/Manure Tea and a Blossom Booster (10-30-20), the Blossom Booster is put out under the "Jacks Classic Blossom Booster" but it is a old Peters fertilizer "recipes".

Chris

GreenGardenMom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I have used the same generic fertilzer recipe I got from the mother earth news but that needs applications about once a month for veggies and so I was doing it whenever I could remember last year. But this year I just got some of the oscomote(sp?) rose formula. and i should only have to put it on like twice a year I think. And it is a small bag but you only use a dime size. Right after I put it wow did the bushes grow.
Wow, that sounds good. Where did you buy it?

GreenGardenMom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i give mine a yearly dose of salt water! i have a wild type of multi floria that seems to love it when i've done that! if you have a compost area i would suggest you make a compost tea from some of it to pour around the base of the rose bush. or even some composted manure covered over with mulch. you can find that at some of the garden centers and green houses.

i found the best type of fertilizer for my peppers to be fish emulsion so i would imagine that may work well for roses since it is easy to absorb into the ground and roots!
Isn't salt water a pesticide?

GreenGardenMom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
chris09 said:
I use Compost/Manure Tea and a Blossom Booster (10-30-20), the Blossom Booster is put out under the "Jacks Classic Blossom Booster" but it is a old Peters fertilizer "recipes".

Chris
Thank you.

GreenGardenMom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I use compost tea too.
BTW, I stopped by your blog. It's very nice. I can't imaging raising chicken in my back yard.:p