What type of fertilizer do you use for rose bush?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got it at lowe's. Some may call me a sucker for buying the different types of fertilizer but different plants have different needs. I also got an azaela fertilizer. makes a world of difference for ease and beauty

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
GreenGardenMom said:
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i give mine a yearly dose of salt water! i have a wild type of multi floria that seems to love it when i've done that! if you have a compost area i would suggest you make a compost tea from some of it to pour around the base of the rose bush. or even some composted manure covered over with mulch. you can find that at some of the garden centers and green houses.

i found the best type of fertilizer for my peppers to be fish emulsion so i would imagine that may work well for roses since it is easy to absorb into the ground and roots!
Isn't salt water a pesticide?
no, the salt water is not considered a pesticide. over on our coast we have lots of roses commonly called 'seaside roses' or rosa rugosa. they LOVE the salt spray from the ocean and will tolerate the salt from treating the roads during the winter. i found the salt water suggestion in one of my old gardening books but i'm not sure which one (and i have a lot of books!) ;)