What type of sunflowers are BOSS ???

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hope this is the right place :)

I'm searching for some to plant, need the name of them.
I'm wanting the type with the big sunflower heads. I've ordered the stripe seeds before, but I would rather have the kind that are good for the chickens.

Thank you,Miriam

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Why not just plant some of the BOSS seeds themselves, and see whatcha get? The ones that have volunteered for me have produced small pathetic flowers most of the time, but then they also tend to land in extremely crappy environments. I had one last year volunteer in a planter that was full of decent soil and otherwise unoccupied, and it made quite a nice head, probably 8-10" across on a good sturdy stem.

At the very least you may as well plant SOME. And I seriously doubt they're a hybrid so if your soil is good I think you will get the genuine article come Fall :)

Have fun,

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I like them all :) I grew some of the huge ones last year and some of the heads were at eleast 12" across! I can't remember the name--maybe mammoth? They had striped shells.

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've tired planting the ones I buy for the birds.... like you said Pat they are tiny, pathetic looking flowers,lol.
I've grown the mammoth kind,the wild birdies love them... & the darn coons :rant

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
BOSS=black oil sunflower seed. Those are the small black ones you find in wild bird food mixes. Also can be bought separately. I feed them to my chickens to brighten up their feathers and overall health.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Ron! Here I thought the OP was just getting excited about which sunflowers ruled, or were "BOSS" :lol: So, I guess my previous post was completely unhelpful in that case :)

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
me&thegals, no, no... that's okay :D it's all a learning experience,lol. Took me awhile to figure out what it meant.
No worries.
Miriam :)

Latest posts