What was that noise?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last night I was sitting on my bed, checking my email, when I heard this strange POP noise. For a minute I thought the neighbor was shooting off fireworks. Then I noticed a sickening smell starting to permeate my room. :sick
I turned on the light and saw that the window on my incubator was covered with some kind of goo...yes, that's right, an egg exploded! I quickly moved the whole thing onto the back porch, but now I'm dreading cleaning the thing out. :hit

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had an egg that exploded a few weeks ago while I was getting rid of all the eggs once incubation was finished. I always bury all the eggs that didn't hatch in the garden and use my shovel to smash it, that one egg sounded like a rocket. And boy that odor, I had to bury it quick. I bet all those gases in the egg build up and eventually explode.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I dont know how often I hear this, but few of my friends tried to make a hard boiled egg in the microwave !! With NO hole in the egg it exploded! and gets very nasty in the microwave!! :lol::gig

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
desertlady said:
I dont know how often I hear this, but few of my friends tried to make a hard boiled egg in the microwave !! With NO hole in the egg it exploded! and gets very nasty in the microwave!! :lol::gig
I doubt it's as nasty as an egg that's been sitting at 99.5 degrees for almost 3 weeks though. :lol:
The smell was incredibly bad. I was gagging as I carried the incubator out and it took hours for the smell to dissipate from my bedroom.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If a fresh raw egg is just left to sit, no refrigeration, no incubation, will it eventually dry out inside, like after a year or so? I'm asking because the Carolina wren that built a nest in my flower pot got hit and killed by a car about two days after she finished laying the eggs. After watching the nest for a few days to make absolutely sure it was abandoned, I collected the eggs. I just have them sitting in a butter pat dish right now, and I think I can keep them safe from accidents. Are they likely to explode? (I know, it is not legal to collect wild bird eggs, but they would be in the trash otherwise. :hide

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
so lucky said:
If a fresh raw egg is just left to sit, no refrigeration, no incubation, will it eventually dry out inside, like after a year or so? I'm asking because the Carolina wren that built a nest in my flower pot got hit and killed by a car about two days after she finished laying the eggs. After watching the nest for a few days to make absolutely sure it was abandoned, I collected the eggs. I just have them sitting in a butter pat dish right now, and I think I can keep them safe from accidents. Are they likely to explode? (I know, it is not legal to collect wild bird eggs, but they would be in the trash otherwise. :hide
I'm really not sure. I know that exploding is caused by a build up of gas from bacterial growth. We did find a bunch of chicken eggs that had been hidden (probably for months, in the Texas summer) once and one of the eggs weighed much less than it should have (I didn't put it on a scale or anything, it was just by feel) but I didn't want to find out what was going on inside. I guess if no bacteria gets inside, then it would eventually dry up...maybe. :idunno

Latest posts