What was your gardening experience, if any, as a child?

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was raised on a dairy also. My father was "Dairyman of the Year" for Ga. a couple of times. My mother is kind of a cross between Mammy Yokum and the woman in Grant Wood's painting, "American Gothic".... talk about Puritan work ethic. As a kid I remember never mentioning being a farmgirl, actually thinking the townkids had more fun, living like little Opie, windowshopping while eating ice cream cones every day. I was embarrassed at silage cutting time when the kids on the sch. bus responded to the fermentation at the silos with a "Phew!". My aunt, by marriage only, branded us the family hicks, because my brothers and I went barefoot, squishing cow manure between our toes, and because we had no set suppertime. Supper happened whenever the last cow was milked or the last tractor parked.

It was only when I went to college and a classmate who had asked about my background said, "Wow! You get to eat all those fresh vegetables!" with a slight air of jealousy, that I began to realize how lucky I had been to have been raised on that farm on Beech Creek.

There were unlimited acres to explore and I could often get out of chores by going fishing. Mama didn't fish, but loved to eat fish. She always knew where to find the best earthworms, often surprising me with a canfull. As long as I showed back up by dark, it seems no one worried about me. I guess humans were all I was taught to really be wary of. I learned to tell a watermoccaisan from a stick on the bank by it's lack of sharp angles. As long as he stayed on his bank and I on mine, it was business as usual. A stringer of bream or catfish with a bass or two made me haughtily proud, enough to hope someone spotted me when I crossed the road to go home, but if the fish were sleepy that day, the beaver and kingfishers would often entertain, and the icy water dissolved the worst August heat.

Food,wonderful food! Mama and I were in charge of that, after Daddy plowed and fertilized the garden. My brothers kept busy with the tractor- driving on the rest of the farm. From spring till fall, all of her time not spent with milking , Mama used making sure there was plenty to eat. Her mother had died when she was six, and being raised mostly by siblings during the depression, I think she'd always been insecure about having enough...of anything. Her 1 inch bathwater limitation would explain my extravagence of bubblebaths today. But there was never any stinginess with the food she grew. During the summer there might be a meal with, not a meat and three, but up to ten vegetables available. She had an old canning sink on the back porch, laden in the summer with tomatoes and cucumbers for snacking. We'd eat whole ones rather than have to put anything up. In season, the sink would contain half a watermelon, for anyone passing through to whack off a chunk of and eat over the sink or outside, where you could have seed spitting contests. There probably wasn't any harvestable crop she didn't try at one time or another...except collards. I never tried those until fairly recently, and found that I love them. I think it must have been cultural... they were associated with being "low class" I guess. I remember the whole family digging potatoes until the year that the rats, we assumed, got them before we did. Don't think they planted so many after that. Mama kept years' worth of canned goods in her wellhouse, and a huge freezer full. She grew enough for an army, so if we had a bad crop, there'd still be enough for a family of five. When she ran out of space and jars, she'd throw the extra vegetables over the fence to the heifers. A few select friends were invited to stop by to take home surplus vegetables, but for the most part, Mama's attitude was that if folks were too lazy to grow their own, they weren't getting hers. When Daddy built a small house so that he could take on a hired hand, he plowed the man's family a garden. Imagine my mother's indignation when they did not weed it. Pity the person who has a garden across the fence from my mother's own. When these neighbors did work in their garden, it was after a rain. The very thought of them out packing down the soil just drove my mother crazy!

I can't say that I enjoyed gardening then. There was just too much of it, and it was yet another thing I did because I had to. But I learned a lot. I remember the first time I was asked to plant, rather than just weed. When the plants came up they were so close together that I had to pull 70 % out. I remember when I was sent out to hoe some of Daddy's field corn on the sandy creekside. I had been foolish enough to go barefoot, and the sand got so hot that as I was running home, I'd stop and momentarily stand on the hoe because it was actually less hot. I was never so glad to get to the creek crossing.

Now that I can make my own decisions, gardening ones anyway, I'm thankful to have had and learned from these experiences, and I think part of me did enjoy gardening then, but just didn't know it.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the late 50's and 60's my mom and I spent a lot of time, during the summer months at my grandparents, in the country. My Grandpa (I called him Dad) planted their gardens with a MF165 tractor......endless rows of butterbeans, southern peas and corn. He also planted potatoes (which we gathered and spread out under the house, which was on stone pillars, for storage), tomatoes and okra. Now, I ALWAYS hated picking butterbeans and would tell my grandma (yep, I called her Mom) that anyone who died and went to hell...was given a bottomless bucket and was made to pick an endless row of butterbeans by the devils minnions. We would pick peas and butterbeans EARLY in the morning and have "pea shellings" during the day and into the night. Neighbors and relatives would come and help....we had a "large" time. Lots of joking, laughing, the old timers skeetin' snuff and breaking wind....all, while the whipporwills were "calling", right behind the house.
God.....I miss the simpler times.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Its often noted that the things we rebelled from as children are the things we recall fondly as adults.

I never really liked weeding the garden, or even having much to do with it*. But you did it because like your granny, the attitude was that you dont deserve to eat if you dont do the work. So I just did it, albeit grudgingly.

Today, I use cardboard and old pieces of carpet in the garden, lots of mulch and snag the weeds as soon as I see them. Ive managed to turn weeding into a necessary task, and have removed most of the odiousness from it.

*But I loved the chickens - and still do. :)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grandma Marge's garden :D

She had apple trees (remember climbing those), a raspberry patch (raided that regularly), and a huge veggie garden. She mulched between the rows with grass clippings. I remember lying on my belly in the grass clippings and eating peas
:drool

The house was in Cudahy, WI and when they bought it, they bought the lot next door. SHe raised meat rabbits too, but they were mean.

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
We would pick peas and butterbeans EARLY in the morning and have "pea shellings" during the day and into the night. Neighbors and relatives would come and help....we had a "large" time. Lots of joking, laughing, the old timers skeetin' snuff and breaking wind....all, while the whipporwills were "calling", right behind the house.
God.....I miss the simpler times.
Now, that sounds like a heck of a lot more fun than watching "As the World Turns". That was about the only thing on back then when we did beans, and my mother was hooked on it - it was her "show". Why, I don't know, as she got so mad at one of the characters that it was hard to be around her for the next 30 minutes. That character, incidentally, shared the same name as her SIL, the one who thought us "quaint".

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
davaroo said:
I never really liked weeding the garden, or even having much to do with it*. But you did it because like your granny, the attitude was that you dont deserve to eat if you dont do the work. So I just did it, albeit grudgingl
I think this attitude is what our society is missing today.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My dad always had a large garden. He and my mother had grown up on farms and it was just what you did. They lived at that address from 1941 til we moved my mama over here in 2000. My dad died in 1987. We all had to help in the garden but it was not so bad. My dad used a tiller so there was not so much hoeing. We helped planting and picking. My mom was in charge of picking and she was very particular about when things were ready. She liked things like squash and cucumbers young and tender. Green beans the same way. I enjoyed eating all the vegetables except for greens. I have acquired a taste for them now, but thought they stunk when I was a kid.

Also, there was an older lady whose back yard backed up to ours. She had lots and lots of perennials, daylilies, irises, cannas, daffodils and lots of other beautiful flowers. Whenever she was out working in her yard, I would follow her around and ask her lots of questions about the flowers and such. When I was 10 she decided that I was old enough to have my own garden, probably to get me out of her hair, and when she was dividing flowers, gave me a whole wheelbarrow full of daylilies, daffodils, irises and my favorite, bysantine gladiolas. I took it home and my dad helped me pick a spot for it , but I had t0 do all the work. I thought I would sweat to death. I still have some flowers descended from those she gave me that I have moved around across the country.

I've always had flowers and vegetables since I have grown up and lived away from home. I even planted a little garden at my apartment in college. It centers my life and has become more important over time.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
elf said:
davaroo said:
I never really liked weeding the garden, or even having much to do with it*. But you did it because like your granny, the attitude was that you dont deserve to eat if you dont do the work. So I just did it, albeit grudgingl
I think this attitude is what our society is missing today.
It still predominates, trust me. But we have allowed it's antithesis, entitlement, to gain ground and make news.

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My mom did not garden so we did not.I do remember visiting my grandma in Hungary and going into her yard to pick breakfast and snacks.She had everything growing on her little plot.I want that for my yard.

Again in Hungary I remember one summer helping relatives that had rented land and planted watermelon and tomato to sell. I helped weed and pick. It was VERY hard work.I can feel the back pain as I think about it...but it is a good memory.I remember we would crack open a melon and eat it right there in the field at the end of the day.Tomatoes and bread still steaming from the oven was heaven.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You guys have some of the best stories! I wonder like Pat, if I was forced to garden as a chore growing up if I would care so much to now?! I was DEFINITELY not raised around a dairy, Elf. I'm sure the smell would have turned me off to the country LONG ago.

I do remember just harvesting with my grandmother from her HUGE garden. I never did much weeding or the labors that we think of as 'work'. Just the wonder of the final product. What I did do was clean and cut and help cook and can. Those thinks my mother said she hated, I looked forward to doing.

Once, my mother and father fenced in a small 10" by 16" space and said we were going to have a veggie garden. We planted a bunch of stuff, I totally remember that... but weeding got hard, and my mom just let everything go. We had a few tomatoes and cukes that year, but the rest was swallowed by the mess of weeds.

I remember trying to convince my mother to try again another year, she refused. Our neigbor had theirs going by then, and the even had a compost pile in their side yard by the garage. I would run our scrap veggie peelings, and cardboard and things over to them because they asked for it. My mom thought it was silly, but for awhile it meant I was out of her hair for 10 minutes while she finished making dinner.

That was the extent of it for me. The only thing that grew in our yard were 3 roses I watched my mom struggle with for years... and I swore I wouldn't waste time and energy on roses... then this year I got my first climber. Has an addiction begun!?