What went wrong with my radishes??

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is my first year for radishes (since kiddie-hood, anyway). I only planted (from seed) 20 or so. I probably got 4-5 actual radishy-looking bulbs, the rest look like rhubarb! :p

So what did I do wrong? Why didn't they develop bulbs instead of just thick red stalks? If I can figure out where I went wrong, I'll try to grow some more this fall.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had the whole lot of them fail to bulb when they were grown in the shade. . . .

Hot weather will also have that result.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think planting the seed to deep or shallow also has something to do with how well it bulbs. i found that some radishes are like onions, grown close to the surface and they seem to bulb better!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just too hot sweety... I've gone through the same thing. Many of them just don't like the warm weather we've been having. :p

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Dang!! And I planted them in February; you'd think that was early enough! :/

Well, I'll give it another try this fall.

Thanks, ya'll! :)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I continuously sew radish throughout the summer, and have had good results. Even better if they are in some shade for mid summer plantings. They do like a good watering.

I wonder if you just had bad seed, or in fact, planted them to early, so they were stunted from the cooler spring weather?

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
bills said:
I continuously sew radish throughout the summer, and have had good results. Even better if they are in some shade for mid summer plantings. They do like a good watering.

I wonder if you just had bad seed, or in fact, planted them to early, so they were stunted from the cooler spring weather?
I don't think it's the seed; most of them sprouted & actually the green tops are HUGE. They just didn't develop the red bulbs.

I don't think sewing continuously would work this far south, unless I can find another spot for them where it's cooler. But what do I know? :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Growing anything is always a crapshoot, 2bz.

Even growing something that matures as quickly as a radish can go awry!

One thing: Radish seed planted in February isn't likely to have decent roots by May, anyway. (Now fresh, tender seed pods picked off the tops of the plants might be something you would be surprised to find quite a treat ;).)

Steve

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Growing anything is always a crapshoot, 2bz.
You got that right, Steve! :p

I checked my records...I thought I planted the radish seeds in February - but it was actually April 3rd!! No wonder!!! :rolleyes:

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted my first batch right around Feb. 15 and I had about 70 percent success, then planted about the 2nd or 3rd week in March and had about 40 percent success, seems the warmer it got the less production... :/