what would dig a potato out but not eat it?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
guess i'll have to set up the trap and hope i catch whatever it is. i've been thinking groundhog since i noticed the sloping area next to the driveway had some excavation work done by something bigger than a chipmunk. it would also make sense since that is the same side the potato/bean/cole crops are on.

with all the rain we've had the past 2 weeks i haven't been able to make out any paw prints to be sure of what might be digging in there.

eta: no we don't have armadillos here in NH. but we have mosquitoes that could carry you away! :lol:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
After years of fighting them with a trap we resorted to poison. They are very smart and difficult to catch. The sell woodchuck bait at Lowes. I do not like doing it but it's too much work to let them eat all your produce. It is safe for pets because you put it way down the tunnel. We have seen the mother, too fat to get through our fence, send her brood of little ones into the garden to fatten up.
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
well, i think that makes sense now. out of the 50 beans i've planted only 3 i noticed were coming up with little affecting them. the rest look chopped off but not like a cut worm's doing. they are growing around the edge of the potato patch. it also nibbled my chinese cabbage both in the patch and still in their container while i was waiting for the rain to go away. they have left the kale and brussel sprouts alone though. :/

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i had luck a couple years ago trapping the massive rodents. if i can spot their pathway in the grass i can usually figure out where to place the trap. problem is where we are at now we can't just take it out to the woods to dispatch it quickly-too many close neighbors that could hear the pop of a gun. my dh says his airgun should take it out but i'm not sure it is going to take it out quickly unless it is done right.

Latest posts