What's eating my Zucchini leaves?! - UPDATED: Cabbage Loopers!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It seems that I'm losing plants overnight! Yesterday, the plants looked fine ... today, entire plants have all of their leaves turned to "lace". I've never seen anything like this in my garden before! And it's not isolated to one area ... I have zucchini planted in several places, and last night I lost almost 3 plants in one area, and almost 2 on the other side of the garden.

The plants look well beyond saving ... but maybe I can save the others in the garden...

Suggestions?

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I found the culprit.....
AnnaWightIMG_1764web800.jpg

This is what all the leaves of several plants now look like... it seems like this damage happened overnight, though I doubt it was THAT quick.
AnnaWightIMG_1760web800.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd almost think they were cabbage worms but I never saw them on zuchini. BT should do the job on them. Don't give up on your zuchini yet. If they have enough energy stored in the central stem and roots they may be able to make a comeback.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My Home Depot carries it under the trade name Thuricide. BTW BT is not a fast knock down. The worms stop eating almost immediately but may still be there for a few more days. So long as they aren't eating there's no problem if they are still there. They should look sort of sick and logy.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The heavily invested leaves will become chicken snacks...

Thanks for the info on Home Depot... the closest HD store is 30 minutes from here, but that's better than paying $50 for overnight shipping from an online retailer! :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm sorry you're having caterpillar issues... I'm thinking of taking off to get BT today.

Apparently caterpillars ate my snapdragons down to NOTHING, and then moved on to my hibicus! I couldn't believe it... my garden looks like its as dead as winter in only a matter of days!!!

I feel your pain. :he

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I couldn't believe how fast the damage occurred! Seriously, like overnight!!!
I'm off to a somewhat local farm/garden supply who says they carry BT ... we'll see.
At least I can get some chicken grains while I'm there! :)

Latest posts