What's the matter with my potatoes?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's about all you can do. Hopefully whatever it is won't affect all of your veggies. Hoping you will still have a good harvest.

Mary

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
At first it was just one plant on the end and then the one next to it, but now it is here and there on other rows, several different varieties of potatoes. The plants looked good and then it seems the top leaves are curling and turning brown or gray. I do not see any bugs or holes in leaves. I am worried about some kind of weed killer from manure brought in or strawView attachment 20138 View attachment 20139 . The manure spread on the garden was picked up last spring and used in the compost bin and spread on the garden last October and tilled in this spring and straw for rabbit beds was composted. The hay the rabbits eat is so called organic Timothy. Should I pull these plants? Should i cut off the bad leaves?

may be wrong but this sure looks your problem....
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/261/contaminated-manure-aminopyralid-update/

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look up potato leafroll virus.

Herbicides don't work/carryover like some of you believe. If it was herbicide damage from manure/straw it would take out ALL the potatoes plus your peppers, tomatoes, etc. all broad leafs would be dead.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
  • Aminopyralid is broken down by soil microbes.
Or through composting.

What they are warning you about is applied to pastures, it will be in the hay. Won't hurt animals so passes through the gut untouched. If you use fresh manure, can be a problem. If it was chemicals, it would kill all the susceptible plants-not just a few and it wouldn't start and stop. If it starts on one plant and spreads, its most likely to be a disease or insect.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

It really does look just like what I have on the potatoes. The tomatoes are okay so far. Cabbage, kale and collards they say can grow and not show any signs of damage, but lettuce and sunflowers will. I have lettuce growing and sunflowers are coming up and look fine. Some of them are in the compost bin where a lot of hay and manure would be. I am going to call before I go to the extension office and see about soil samples and test for this.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look up potato leafroll virus.

Herbicides don't work/carryover like some of you believe. If it was herbicide damage from manure/straw it would take out ALL the potatoes plus your peppers, tomatoes, etc. all broad leafs would be dead.

Some of the pictures do look like it could be leafroill. I do not have peppers planted yet and the tomatoes have not been in very long.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
  • Aminopyralid is broken down by soil microbes.
Or through composting.

What they are warning you about is applied to pastures, it will be in the hay. Won't hurt animals so passes through the gut untouched. If you use fresh manure, can be a problem. If it was chemicals, it would kill all the susceptible plants-not just a few and it wouldn't start and stop. If it starts on one plant and spreads, its most likely to be a disease or insect.

Latest posts