what's wrong with my bush Cucumber?

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What's wrong with my bush cucumber?? I've never grown them before and don't really know much about them...but one of mine is not doing so hot.

sickcucumberbush-1.jpg

Any ideas on how I can make him happier?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
have you looked for a squash borer in the vine, probably in this case pretty near the base of the plant (where it comes out of the soil)?

Pat

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
have you looked for a squash borer in the vine, probably in this case pretty near the base of the plant (where it comes out of the soil)?

Pat
what is a squash borer???

I didn't notice anything burrowing that was my firsts though as well. The other ones are fine and they are right next to it.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would take it out, in case it has something contagious. That's just me, though. Then you could look to see what parts were effected and have a better idea of what is wrong. I'm concerned it might be some sort of fungal disease or bacterial blight.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A larva that bores into the vine and eats out a 'cavern' there, which beyond a certain point will interfere with the plant's vascular system and cause all parts of the vine beyond where the borer is to collapse. Look for a hole, or funny-lookin' part of the vine, or area that maybe is looking like it is starting to dry out or rot. On this plant, if it's a borer it's pretty close to the base of the plant where it comes out of the soil. Look closely.

I agree with DrakeMaiden - I'd pull the whole plant out (*then* do a postmortem to try to find its problem) on the grounds that if it's contagious you sure don't want your other squash plants getting it and even if it isn't you're not going to be getting much yield from that particular plant anyhow.

Pat

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:(

So should I just rip it out of the ground?

Can I still compost it?

How do I know if the other 2 are effected? :(

Latest posts