Whats wrong with my Tomatoes? Leaves turning yellow with brown spots

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We had some family in town and I didnt keep to my garden like I usually do and in just a few days my tomatoes have taken on some type of leaf disease. I dont know what it is so I dont know how to treat it. Any suggestions? Is it treatable?
The plants are heirloom tomatoes (several different varieties). It has been pretty hot here...in the 100's. And I have been watering regularly, maybe too much?

6520_picture_075.jpg

6520_picture_076.jpg

6520_picture_091.jpg

6520_picture_094.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't panic! I would cut off those damaged leaves, continuing watering and wait... You've got nice fruit on those plants- in the worst case scenario, you can bring them in to ripen. But, I think you will be fine. Just keep a close eye on them...For next year, you might pull off the bottom leaves and mulch under the plants, for a little added protection.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine are doing that too... its been heat stress mainly. Remove the bad branches and leaves. Water slow and deeply if you can. Like putting a hose on drip. I've also crushed up some asprin for my tomato plants that got blown over in the last storm. I mixed the aspirin with a gallon of water (2 pills) and watered those poor plants to help w/ stress.

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hollywood Gardens said:
My brothers says it's blight
What is blight? It is treatable?

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My tomatoes have been doing the same thing one by one. I have a few extra spot on the leaves. The weather here couldn't be better. I water regularly.

Does anyone know how blight gets into the garden and how to get rid of it? Will it come back again next year? I did not have this problem last year. :barnie

5900_img_1882.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tanks I could be wrong but that doesn't look like bacterial blight to me. It looks more like leaf nematode damage.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, so what do you recommend? Doctor, will it live??? :D

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The best way to break the leaf nematode life cycle is to keep the foliage as dry as possible and do all of your watering at the roots. Leaf nematodes have to have a film of water on the plant to move back and forth between it and the soil. Marigolds also produce a compound that kills them or stunts their growth. Mind you I'm not saying it's nematodes for sure. I'm just basing that on damage I have seen in the past. Only examination under a microscope would tell for sure.