What's Your Favorite Cafe?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today we went to Alba, a very small town about 20 miles away for horse feed. I have been looking for it since we moved and finally found it! We loaded 15 bags, also bought summer sausage and a bar of smoked cheese made by Mennonites. Yum!

We decided to take in the sights of Alba, which took all of 3-4 minutes. We spied Connie's Cafe and went in for lunch. The lunch special was $6.50! We each got chicken fried steak, CFS, 2 veggies, a roll and desert. It was so much food we couldn't eat it all.

We will definitely be going back to Connie's Cafe. They close at 3:00 but on Friday and Saturday are open until 9:00. Friday night is rib eye steak night, we'll have to go check it out.

Supper is jalepeno cheese summer sausage and smoked Monterey Jack on crackers.

What is your favorite cafe?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to work for a little mom n' pop truck stop diner as a waitress. Super good home cooked food and the prices were dirt cheap. Man, I miss that good coffee too. They eventually got closed down by the health dept when they refused to go non-smoking after the laws changed. Such a shame. I made really good tips there too, making over $2000/month waiting tables and this was like 12 years ago, so that was a lot of money then. I had quit and moved on before they went out of business though.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here we have to look long and hard for a Mom and Pop-type Cafe. Most of the restaurants are run by immigrants from Armenia. That means the food and the prices are pretty much standardized. It then becomes about the people (owners) themselves. A couple of these are on our 'scheduled' dining habits.

We did find one owner run cafe whose place we very often choose for breakfast. 16 oz coffee cups are her trademark, but the food is good and the prices are reasonable. She closes at 1:00, however, so we've seldom been there except for breakfast.

DH never was one to find adventure in new places or different tastes. When I get the opportunity -- usually with Gypsy -- I check out the ethnic dining just for fun.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a coffee shop called "Oasis" near my house. I only go in there when I'm at the doctors, which is never, but I loved it. They had fireplaces going and big chairs, and the people there were super kind and caring. DH's favorite is "Bubble Island" which is unfortunately now closed. You could get bubble tea there, which is tea with tapioca dropped into it to make little balls.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Used to be a place called Yesterday's just around the corner from my first landfill. They had a 'Kitchen Sink Salad' that was wonderful!! Now I'm going to have to call around and see if they're still there........

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We eat out so rarely, I don't even know if there are any Mom and Pop restaurants around any more. Oh wait, There is a cool little restaurant/pub called "Tractors" in Jackson MO and one in Perryville, MO that serve great sandwiches and steaks. Lots of good rich diet-busting food. I suppose they serve salads, too, but I never ate one there. The theme is tractors, of course. Their sandwiches are all tractor and farm implement names. The wait staff wear tee shirts with "hired help" on the back.@Nyboy, I think you would love it. It's not the home-cooking we are speaking about, but at least it is owned by local family folks.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a popular one in my tiny town that serves breakfast and maybe lunch(?) but we hardly ever eat out, and never go out for breakfast. Although I did meet a friend at this place for breakfast one morning and they are always packed.
The owners also live in town, walking distance from their restaurants. Nice, hard working folks, fun to joke around with, they also own the little pizza place.

Latest posts