Wheel chair gardening

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any websites or books on handicapped access gardening? My nephew is planning on building a wheelchair accessible garden for a nursing home as an Eagle Scout project. He wants to build raised beds that would allow a person in a wheelchair to roll up to and have their knees under and be able to reach into the middle of the bed.
Thanks in advance!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kristin,

"Way to Grow: The Accessible Garden" and "Accessible Gardening - Bring Mother Earth Within Reach" are a couple of online articles.

There are books mentioned at the end of both articles. Also Able to Garden is a "practical guide for elderly gardeners and those with disabilities. It has ideas for gardening in limited spaces and includes container gardening and tool selection."

I'd first look in the WorldCat of libraries for copies of these books in local libraries. I haven't read or researched any of this but hope it helps. I'll be needing these kinds of gardens soon enuf.

Steve

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Kristin,

"Way to Grow: The Accessible Garden" and "Accessible Gardening - Bring Mother Earth Within Reach" are a couple of online articles.

There are books mentioned at the end of both articles. Also Able to Garden is a "practical guide for elderly gardeners and those with disabilities. It has ideas for gardening in limited spaces and includes container gardening and tool selection."

I'd first look in the WorldCat of libraries for copies of these books in local libraries. I haven't read or researched any of this but hope it helps. I'll be needing these kinds of gardens soon enuf.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I'll pass that all on to my SIL. My nephew will be doing this out in Iowa; I'm in CT. I wish I was closer to help since I think this such a great project. I know gardening kept my grandfather going well into his 80s and even 90s. I imagine I'll want to be out there in the dirt as long as possible too!

Latest posts