When can I pick my cucumber?

TussieMussie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but I've never grown cucumbers before and don't know when exactly to pick them. I've grown it up a trellis (lack of horizontal space) and I have plenty of fruits in various stages of development. My largest cucumber is probably 12 inches long and has a kind of frosty looking blush over the green. Should it look like the store bought cucumbers when I pick it - dark green?

Thanks.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A lot depends on the kinds of cucumber you are growing, I usually pick mine at 6 to 8 inches long. I just like them at that stage for slicing, If I am going to make whole dills from them, I pick at about the length of my thumb . I always grow a lot at a time, so I dont have to store them before making pickles. If I dont happen to get enough in a picking, I put them in a brown paper bag in the crisper(never plastic)...until I get enough to be worth pickling.
Generally, once cucumbers start bearing, I pick daily to keep them, from getting over size, and they will continue to set blossoms and bear if you keep them pretty well picked. If you let them get really large, the vine puts a lot of energy into the growth of those large ones, and may not be able to also bloom much until the big ones are picked. Year before last, I canned over 120 jars dill pickles, because I supplied my city kids theirs for the year. Last year, I was not able to do that, this year in the new garden, I hope to teach our daughter how to carry on the tradition, while I"strawboss" I bet there is a lot more excellent advice out there, I am only passing down what I was taught. Also, if your cucumber is turning light color, take it off the vine, its already past done .

TussieMussie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks, guess I know what I'll be doing in the morning! Yum, can't wait. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had this exact same question. I have seen so many different varieties I didn't know what was the ideal pick time for mine kind. I have 2 that are about 8" and I think I will go ahead and pick tomorrow.... I was thinking of making an asian cucumber salad ;)

Thanks for the advice, and thanks for asking this question!!! :coolsun

Reaction score
Mine are Boston Picklings and I am just letting them vine together in two rows! No fruits of my hard labor yet but I have yellow squash on the vines! I cant wait to eat my first crop ever! I love gardening and raising my new chickens...cant wait to eat their eggs as well!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Chicken People said:
Mine are Boston Picklings and I am just letting them vine together in two rows! No fruits of my hard labor yet but I have yellow squash on the vines! I cant wait to eat my first crop ever! I love gardening and raising my new chickens...cant wait to eat their eggs as well!
:welcome

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember those very dark green, shiny cucumbers you see in the store are heavily waxed...The ones in the garden are never going to look like that! Pick one and try it-what can it hurt? Enjoy!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I saw if you have cucumber that start to become ripe and green when they are thumb size or so... go ahead and harvest them for pickling.... they don't even HAVE to be picklig labelled cucumbers?!

I'm not sure if this is true... I saw it on food network while watching something about making pickles. I WANT to make pickles :)

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a lot of luck with calypso cucumbers.. I pick them tiny to pickle whole,( always raise fresh dill ).. garlic dill is our family fav, and the calypsos also are great slicers.. does any one else notice that the cucs flavor depends on the weather . I hate those dry seasons where they get a bitter taste even when small. I think watering plentifully helps to avoid that.

Latest posts