When can I start veggie seeds indoors in N.central Illinois?????

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am a novice gardener. We usually buy seeds and started plants for our garden and plant them directly in the ground around late May.
If I were to start seeds in the house, when should I start them for them to be decent size to transplant outside around the end of May?
My husband bought me a greenhouse for Valentines day (6ft X 8ft X 7ft) and hope to put it to good use. I just don't want to start seeds too early and have them get spindly from being in small pots too long.
Thanks for any suggestions from all you master gardeners!
Christie :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not a master gardener. Not even Jerry what's-his-name . . .

Maybe this will help: When Do I Start My Seeds?

I'm starting more pepper seeds today (first of my veggies) and it sounds like you set out transplants about the same time I do, Christie. It's best for you to find your average day of last frost and work backwards from there.

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My last day for frost is May 20th. I started my peppers on the 24th because they take forever to come up. Started spanish onions today. Starting Tomatoes on Mar 25th. I have a calendar all written out. It really depends on the plant and when you can plant them in your area. Good luck.

PS I'm a list maker so if your not you don't have to do a calendar. I also have a spreadsheet but that because I get bored with all this crappy weather and it keeps me from become a complete nut. Some people would argue it's not working.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started my stuff weeks ago. The house looks like a jungle and there are hanging lights everywhere. I am pretty sure I am dead when we get the next electric bill :p

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I think I will start my serious planning and hopefully get some seeds started in the next week or two.
My thumbs are not that green, so wish me luck!
Christie :D

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
NOW!!!!! You're only 2 1/2 to 3 hours north of MY place! BTW, :welcome, mothergoose, if I've forgotten to say!!
Here's a link to help you:
http://will.illinois.edu/ig/

I'm getting my onions, radishes, spinach, beets,etc.--cool weather crops--started this week (indoors). I'll wait to start the warm weather crops indoors--tomatoes, squash, etc., until around Easter. Happy planting! (Those little sprouts are SSOOOOO CUUUTE!! :love )
:drool --**ducks4you thinking about the harvest**

Latest posts