When Do I Stop?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is my first time composting. I have a bin composter and have added equal amounts of green and brown. I have also added vegetable scraps, chicken poop with shavings, and moisture. I turn it several times a week.

My question is this "When do I stop adding things to it? It seems to me that if I keep adding stuff that the compost will never be ready because there will always be things to break down.
Do I just stop adding and if so what do I do with any new greens and browns, etc. I don't have room for another bin, so I guess I could use the city green recyling bin. I just hate to waste any good stuff.

Thanks
Mary

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok you got some good questions. Here is my thinking. compost is done when

1. the stuff has no identifiable stuff (e.g. no orange peel, sticks, corn cobs)
2. It doesn't smell or smells like earth
3. generally is black

What you can do is let this pile cook by leaving it alone (aside from wateriing and turning it) and not add any more and start another pile. But you said that is not feasible. Just in case you do when you start another pile use a couple of scoops from the first pile to get you started!

You could just continue to add to and still use it. Compost is not so much done but more of when you need it. Meaning that even if there are still some small bits of identifiable stuff in there you can *tecnically* still use it because the decomposition process with continue once you add it to the soil. The decomposition process uses some small amounts of nutients during the process but if most of the compost is broken down (verse it is not broken down and you have tons of identifiable stuff) you could be fine.

As for me I only have one pile. I add to it constantly. One day this spring I will need it and I will use it fully ready or not. Now I am not saying that after I just clipped the grass I will use it immediately but after a turn or two if I absolutely need it I will use it. Also if you think about it it is common to top dress some veggies and flowers with fresh grass clippings.

oh and I am also considering that you are using the chicken poop/shavings consider using later than sooner. and useing the Deep Litter Method for your poop/shavings. That would make most of your poop/shavings more broken down rather than less at the time you first add it to the bin.

And also the more you turn the fast things breaks down.

I sure hope I helped more than confused you!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I too use the compost pile, ready or not. We would till it into the garden, etc and it would become soil eventually. Now that I have chickens, we just dumped the pile on the garden and the girls have a free-for-all. They eat what they want, and spread it for me in the process.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah sometimes I am out in the garden eating something. I will just throw it in the garden rather than compost it. That is mostly due to lazyness. Except my stupid dog loves orange peels. I say bad doggy bad!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My compost bin has access doors at the bottom. We add to and stir the top portion. Take from the bottom.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
AmyRey,

Your compost bin with the door at the bottom sounds like a great idea. I didn't think about that when I purchased mine. Our county had a good deal on the them so I just bought it.

Thank you everyone for your great feedback!

p.s. I'm loving this site as much as the BYC!

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got a giant never-ending compost pile behind the barn (the leave-it-and-let-it-rot system!) and I also have a compost tumbler my husband and I built. I keep a couple milk crates in a compartment under the tumbler to toss extras in while I'm waiting for the first batch to cook.

Not sure what your set up is like though -- you'd have to have some out of the way place to keep it until you're ready for it. We live in the country, so there is no one to annoy with a stinky compost pile. :D

If that wouldn't work, maybe you'd be better off to buy a second compost bin, if it's not too expensive. Then you could rotate them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for your help Journey11.

Unfortunately I live in the city where I'm lucky I found just enough room for the one bin! I have a daycare/preschool so the yard is pretty much taken up with their "stuff". I have managed to have flower beds along the fence on the one sunny side. This fall though we removed about half of the flowers so we could grow more organic vegtables.:(:) I am happy that I have managed to combine a small flower garden, a small vegtable garden, and a small chicken coop (5 hens) for the children. They love it! and so do I.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's nothing a little kid enjoys more than tossing scratch to the chickens and petting them. How nice you can give them that little bit of country exposure in the city. :happy_flower

Latest posts